how to play mkv rip on ipad 3?

Everything related to MakeMKV
elephantburger

how to play mkv rip on ipad 3?

Post by elephantburger »

I have ipad 3 which has HD resolution. how can i play my MKV files on it?
crowfax

Re: how to play mkv rip on ipad 3?

Post by crowfax »

I'd use something like DVD Catalyst to convert the MKV file from MakeMKV into a format that the iPad3 will play. You'll save space on your device than putting the raw files on it as well. The only downside is it takes a while to turn the MKV file into an MP4 for the iPad3.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
lpcmissues

Post by lpcmissues »

I use Goodplayer. Plays all my movies upto 720p smoothly.
twa000

Post by twa000 »

I use XBMC, great and free ..... but you do need to jailbreak first :)
Icanseestars

Post by Icanseestars »

You cant.

MakeMKV is lossless which means HD MPEG-2, VC-1 or H.264 blu-ray specification video. The iPad only has hardware decoding support for H.264 video nothing else and it will not enable that hardware decoding for H.264 video if it's not in a M4V container. It will fall back to CPU decoding for all media that is not H.264/M4V now while the CPU on the iPad3 is improved there's no way it will play the output from MakeMKV.

Use Handbrake to convert the videos into H.264/M4V and then they will play on the iPad3.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

If you have an MKV with H.264 video (majority are) then you only need to transcode the MKV file to mp4 which is very fast, opposing to full re-encode that is very slow.
translux

Post by translux »

Use AirVideo client/server app.
It converts on the fly and stream to the ipad from inside and outside the LAN.
Works great!
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-vide ... 50020?mt=8
elephantburger

Post by elephantburger »

translux wrote:Use AirVideo client/server app.
Works great!
hi, so will it still look like HD video? will the file be counting toward my internet bandwidth? (20-30GB)
translux

Post by translux »

elephantburger wrote:
translux wrote:Use AirVideo client/server app.
Works great!
hi, so will it still look like HD video? will the file be counting toward my internet bandwidth? (20-30GB)
You can set the quality of video and I assume your talking about your LTE bandwidth with from ATT or Verizon?
Yes if you stream outside of your house over LTE it will consume bandwidth if you are on wi-fi no.
BTW I can't believe what they charge for bandwidth-$10 a gig is draconian.
laidbackross

Post by laidbackross »

New user with iPad 3rd gen, i used MakeMKV to rip a Blu-Ray, tried the mkv file in the "AVPlayerHD" app, sound was fine but video unwatchable, really low laggy framerate.

After searching on google I found a freeware conversion program to turn it into a M4V/MP4 called (unsurprisngly) MkvToMp4:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3406 ... Mkv-to-Mp4

It took just over 2 hours to convert at full 1080P resolution with an i5 laptop.

I then transferred into iTunes and have tested in the native iOS "Videos" app and it works absolutely flawlessly.

This may not be the fastest way to achieve what I think your after but the results are amazing.

The audio was AAC and I have asked the developer whether he would consider the option to encode the audio in ALAC for the full lossless audio.

For reference it went from a 14.3 gb MKV file to a 8.3gb M4V file.

Other programs which seemed to be recommended was rebox.NET and GOTSent although I have no experience of using them, would probably be worth browsing http://www.videohelp.com/ to get exactly what you are after.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Thanks, AVPlayerHD was the app I was thinking of.

SC
DanaK4LK

Post by DanaK4LK »

elephantburger wrote:I have ipad 3 which has HD resolution. how can i play my MKV files on it?
You can use the free HandBrake. It will convert the video to MPEG4 which is playable and manageable by iTunes. Use the High Profile setting for best quality. It takes 4 hours to convert and average movie on my 2011 MacBook Pro.