Feature request - Closed Caption support

Everything related to MakeMKV
wadebear

Feature request - Closed Caption support

Post by wadebear »

I'd like to request support for Closed Caption be added to MakeMKV.

This otherwise excellent program lacks the ability to capture and process Closed Caption information - which is the only captioning available on some DVDs.

As a person with a hearing loss I need some sort of captioning to understand what people are saying, otherwise all I hear when people talk is mumble mumble mumble mumble. Particularly on animated stuff when the characters have high squeaky voices (Cartman and Butters on South Park for example).
Chetwood

Re: Feature request - Closed Caption support

Post by Chetwood »

wadebear wrote:This otherwise excellent program lacks the ability to capture and process Closed Caption information - which is the only captioning available on some DVDs.
I've seen a LOT of DVDs and so far the only one with CC was Dracula RC1. Can you upload a 2 min sample reauthored with DVD Shrink somewhere?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

All NTSC DVDs of Stargate SG-1 that I own (Seasons 2-7, region 1) only have CC, and no subtitles.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

It was planned for the long time. Getting closer and closer, but no definite timeline yet.
leyline

Post by leyline »

I too would love to see CC support built in!
A lot of dvd's that are Public education, ie: children's story to dvd have CC
and I like to backup the discs with CC so the kids can still "read along"
dannyboy48888

Post by dannyboy48888 »

Temporary and crude method....Oped the disc, stream it, pick the title in your browser, and save the VOB. Does work with ccextractor. Downside is it's not a MKV file (kinda the point of the program) all the streams are present and there are no chapters, but the Closed Captions are there.
Devore

Post by Devore »

I also have 1 single DVD that has French subtitles and English CC. Many TV show DVDs use CC as well.

You need to rip the title into a VOB as mentioned, and run CCExtractor on it. Then run MakeMKV as normal, and mux in the subtitles after with mkvtoolnix.
dannyboy48888

Post by dannyboy48888 »

Besides SG1 star trek Voyager also has just closed captions
docbill

Post by docbill »

Chetwood wrote:
wadebear wrote:This otherwise excellent program lacks the ability to capture and process Closed Caption information - which is the only captioning available on some DVDs.
I've seen a LOT of DVDs and so far the only one with CC was Dracula RC1. Can you upload a 2 min sample reauthored with DVD Shrink somewhere?
I've actually found most North American DVD's have CC. In my early days of DVD ripping, I spend hours OCR'ing idx/sub files. Then I came across a program for extracting Cc. I found in many cases the Cc where there, and grabbing those eliminated all the OCR errors. Although care must be taken. In some cases I found the Cc where not as complete or as accurate as the idx/sub files.

Then I went to ripping mostly blu-rays, so it is back to OCR'ing subtitles. Only at least the software I have for OCR sup files is more efficient...

Now I have a media player that will allow me to download subtitles from online. So I only bother doing my own subtitles when I don't like the ones I download because they are out of sync or aren't accurate enough for my liking.

Still it would be nice if makemkv would extract closed captions into a srt track. It would make it much easier to have accurate subtitles available.

Bill
dannyboy48888

Post by dannyboy48888 »

For the Linux users who don't dabble with makefiles I've made a Ubuntu package on launchpad as one wasn't present. my handle dannyboy48888. Works on streams downloaded first with the stream function.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

mike admin wrote:It was planned for the long time. Getting closer and closer, but no definite timeline yet.

Bumping a very old topic. I still see support of this lacking.
Mike, I know you probably have a day job so I won't press too hard but was this feature request abandoned, forgotten or just low enough priority?
necrosis

Post by necrosis »

Krawk wrote:
mike admin wrote:It was planned for the long time. Getting closer and closer, but no definite timeline yet.

Bumping a very old topic. I still see support of this lacking.
Mike, I know you probably have a day job so I won't press too hard but was this feature request abandoned, forgotten or just low enough priority?
Might be dropped. Doing subtitles like CC on DVD is a PITA cause the subtitles are images not "text" files. So to capture them you must OCR them. Which is not that accurate and a ton of coding work.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

necrosis wrote:Might be dropped. Doing subtitles like CC on DVD is a PITA cause the subtitles are images not "text" files. So to capture them you must OCR them. Which is not that accurate and a ton of coding work.
No, the captions we're talking about are text, not images like DVD subtitles. The problem with them is they're embedded in the video track, rather than in their own track. Currently (or at least last I checked, it's been a long while), MakeMKV cannot extract them to their own track.