BR rips to iPad

Everything related to MakeMKV
Rob47

BR rips to iPad

Post by Rob47 »

I've ripped a BR disk to my computer with subtitles now how can I get that playing on my iPad?

I tried using Handbrake, however I'm unable to select a subtitle track to encode.

Is there another way around this?

Any advice given would be great. I have use of an iMac or a Windows machine.
crowfax

Re: BR rips to iPad

Post by crowfax »

Handbrake is awesome but the lack of PGS subtitle support is annoying.

I use DVD Catalyst (download the trial here) to convert the MKV's from MakeMKV to play on my phone. It's not free, but it's only $10, which is less than I just spent on lunch.

I know most people are looking for a free solution, but DVD Catalyst saves me a lot of time. If you want to keep using handbrake you'll have to do the following:

1. Extract the PGS subtitles from the MKV file using mkvextractgui-2 (download here)
2. Convert the extracted PGS subtitles to IDX using BDSup2Sub (download here)
3. Mux the newly made IDX subtitles into the MKV file using MKVmergeGUI (download here as part of MKVtoolNIX)
4. Open the new MKV file containing the IDX subtitles in Handbrake and you'll be able to select them

Personally, I'd spend the $10, but it's up to you.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

crowfax wrote:Handbrake is awesome but the lack of PGS subtitle support is annoying.
PGS support should land in the nightlies reasonably soon (it's a matter of weeks, or if you're lucky, days).
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I second the DVD Catalyst recommendation. The author is awesome so if you run into problems with it you know you're going to get support. Great program and for 10 bucks, it really is a good deal.
Rob47

Post by Rob47 »

crowfax wrote:Handbrake is awesome but the lack of PGS subtitle support is annoying.

I use DVD Catalyst (download the trial here) to convert the MKV's from MakeMKV to play on my phone. It's not free, but it's only $10, which is less than I just spent on lunch.

I know most people are looking for a free solution, but DVD Catalyst saves me a lot of time. If you want to keep using handbrake you'll have to do the following:

1. Extract the PGS subtitles from the MKV file using mkvextractgui-2 (download here)
2. Convert the extracted PGS subtitles to IDX using BDSup2Sub (download here)
3. Mux the newly made IDX subtitles into the MKV file using MKVmergeGUI (download here as part of MKVtoolNIX)
4. Open the new MKV file containing the IDX subtitles in Handbrake and you'll be able to select them

Personally, I'd spend the $10, but it's up to you.

Subs aren't showing up in the video even though I can select them in handbrake.

Is DVD catalyst certain to fix this subtitle problem?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Rob47 wrote:I can select them in handbrake.
This seems highly unlikely as Handbrake does not support PGS subtitles.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Rob47

Post by Rob47 »

crowfax wrote:
Rob47 wrote:I can select them in handbrake.
This seems highly unlikely as Handbrake does not support PGS subtitles.
It's ok I chose sidenote subs that I had muxed in but it is all irrelvent as I've bought DVD catalyst because it's amazing.

Also you are a gentleman, scholar and amazing bastard. Thank you.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

DVD Catalyst has full PGS subtitle support. In fact, if you have a decrypted blu-ray source (either a disc with AnyDVD or similar product running) or a rip, such as that from MakeMKV backup, you can process the disc structure itself with DVD Catalyst. But it will work from an MKV output from MakeMKV, as well.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Rob47 wrote:Also you are a gentleman, scholar and amazing bastard. Thank you.
Yes to all three, but only the last one in the modern sense of the word, and not ye olde English sense of the word. It's good to hear you like DVD Catalyst!
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

SamuriHL wrote:DVD Catalyst has full PGS subtitle support. In fact, if you have a decrypted blu-ray source (either a disc with AnyDVD or similar product running) or a rip, such as that from MakeMKV backup, you can process the disc structure itself with DVD Catalyst. But it will work from an MKV output from MakeMKV, as well.
Running DVD Catalyst on the MKV file is a little quicker for me than running it from the drive, but perhaps because I only have an i3, and my BR drive is USB which chews up CPU cycles.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

crowfax wrote: Running DVD Catalyst on the MKV file is a little quicker for me than running it from the drive, but perhaps because I only have an i3, and my BR drive is USB which chews up CPU cycles.
I would agree. I didn't mean to sound as if I was recommending ripping straight off the disc, only that DVD Catalyst supported it. The author is an awesome guy and added that in a while back. It won't decrypt them, but, it at least understands how to parse BD structures. I agree, though, that just giving it an already processed MKV is easier.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Romansh wrote:
PGS support should land in the nightlies reasonably soon (it's a matter of weeks, or if you're lucky, days).
Sounds like it'll be a matter of days after all. Of course the initial implementation isn't guaranteed to be bug-free.
adamlautner2012

Post by adamlautner2012 »

Why not rip from Blu-ray Disc directly with a Blu-ray to iPad converter?
Here is my recommendations:
For Windows: http://www.soft4portable.com/ipad/blu-r ... ipper.html
For Mac: http://www.soft4portable.com/ipad/blu-r ... r-mac.html
They can remove the copy protections AACS, BD+, MKB V24, etc. from BD. Of course, choose the subtitles for the output iPad video.

This tools works good on my Windows 7 computer and I have installed it for almost half a year.

New to this forum, but still hope this may help.
bwash

Post by bwash »

Why not just get an app that plays mkv files on your iPad? I use AV Player HD and I don't have to convert any of my videos as it plays them all without conversion including mkv files from makemkv. There are other good video players for the iPad but this is the one I use. I just copy the files from my pc to the iPad when it is hooked up to itunes, there are other wireless ways that I have not used.
Rob47

Post by Rob47 »

bwash wrote:Why not just get an app that plays mkv files on your iPad? I use AV Player HD and I don't have to convert any of my videos as it plays them all without conversion including mkv files from makemkv. There are other good video players for the iPad but this is the one I use. I just copy the files from my pc to the iPad when it is hooked up to itunes, there are other wireless ways that I have not used.
Because I have 30gb BR rips not downloads or DVD rips. Also in my experience 3rd party video apps don't work very well.