Easy fix for damaged discs

Everything related to MakeMKV
rcork

Easy fix for damaged discs

Post by rcork »

As i have 2 small children who love to take the DVDs and Bluray discs out of their cases, i have a large number of scratched discs. Whenever i get an error in MakeMKV that leads me to believe the disc is damaged, i use Turtlewax (car wax) to fix it. You can apply a thin coat of wax, let it dry and then buff it off with a clean microfiber cloth. If the disc has light scratches/damage, this is usually enough to make the disc readable and allows MakeMKV to copy it.
Woodstock

Re: Easy fix for damaged discs

Post by Woodstock »

Similar to what I do, but my first level response is Pledge. It works for cleaning and minor scratches. If that doesn't do it, polishing with a mild tooth paste is next.

Haven't had to resort to car wax yet... if the first two don't do it, it's usually because the disk is cracked somewhere.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MNguy

Post by MNguy »

I've always used Windex for moderately dirty of scratched disks.

What it comes to something really bad: I use Brasso. It's a brass polish and it works wonders. I've used it for years as it was suggested on avsforums when comparing quality of blank DVD disks years back.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Windex cleans everything.

I take the lazy route and use this:
http://www.frys.com/product/4144353

That that doesn't work I just return the disc. It's usually pretty effective though, especially for removing fingerprints etc..
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
roraniel

Post by roraniel »

I actually use a micro-abrasive rubbing compound to polish the disc. You can get pretty aggressive on the scratches and then lightly polish the whole disc. I then buff it clean with a micro fiber towel. Works like a charm.