Possbile Forced subs GUI feature

Everything related to MakeMKV
israfelli

Possbile Forced subs GUI feature

Post by israfelli »

From what I understand, all subtitle tracks are given a "forced only" output option, regardless of whether the track has forced subs or not.

Not asking you to do it, but is it possible to have MakeMKV examine the subtitle streams, and only offer a "forced subs" selection if that particular subtitle track actually has some forced sub titles in it?

Dave
Chetwood

Re: Possbile Forced subs GUI feature

Post by Chetwood »

Have you read the FAQ?

In produced MKV file regular subtitle track will contain all subtitles and forced track will contain only these with forced flag. If entire original track is forced then both tracks will be identical. If no forced subtitles were in original track, the resulting "forced" track will be empty and will not be present in MKV at all.

Since the entire sub has to be parsed this is the only way to go.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
israfelli

Post by israfelli »

I understand that. But if MakeMKV could ascertain beforehand, it would not need to present forced selection checkboxes for any subtitle streams which contain no forced subtitles. If it did that, we could see that there are no forced subs before ripping and we could know that the movie might have its foreign language subtitles in a separate dedicated track with no forced subs set, or perhaps done via java.

In other words, say a disc has two subtitle tracks: one track has full subs for the whole movie (no forced), and the other only has subs for just the foreign language scenes (no forced). I rip the movie with only the forced boxes checked and I end up with no subs in my mkv. Only after ripping do I realize this disc had a dedicated non-forced sub tack for foreign scenes.

If I check ALL four boxes, then if the disc does has forced subs, I get too many sub tracks in the mkv.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Chetwood wrote:Since the entire sub has to be parsed this is the only way to go.