MKVextract question (not sure if this is the right forum???)

Everything related to MakeMKV
woody777

MKVextract question (not sure if this is the right forum???)

Post by woody777 »

Is it okay to ask questions about using MKVExtract & MKVMerge in conjunction with MakeMKV?

First, let me make sure I understand how MakeMKV handles subtitles:

In the MakeMKV GUI, if I check the parent box for a subtitle track, the resulting MKV will have that subtitle track (obviously). If I also check the child box for a forced subtitle track, MakeMKV will check that subtitle track for any forced subs and create a separate subtitle track containing only those forced subs. On the disc, the parent and child boxes represent one subtitle track, but MakeMKV will create two subtitle tracks if it finds any forced subs. And if MakeMKV doesn't find any forced subs, I only get one subtitle track. Am I understanding the process correctly?

I usually rip all English subtitle tracks (both parent and child boxes checked) and then use MKVExtract to extract just the subtitle streams. Then I check the subtitle streams in BDSup2Sub to determine what I need and then mux it all back together (if necessary) in MVKMerge.

Here's the problem: If I drop a finished MKV into MKVExtract, I get a bunch of empty subtitle tracks. And in most cases, I also get subtitle tracks that MKVExtract refuses to extract. There is not error message -- it just doesn't do anything.

Any ideas? This doesn't seem like it should be happening.
paulster

Re: MKVextract question (not sure if this is the right forum

Post by paulster »

You've got the idea right, and it's very similar to what I do in my ripping process.

I use eac3to to extract the subtitle tracks though, and it has always worked fine, so you could maybe try that and at least identify where the problem is coming from.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

See the Handbrake thread, apparently recognizing forced subs is not always working 100%, especially with clear subs involved. However, on my last rips the extra streams were flagged properly as I could verify by opening the mkv in MKVToolnix thus skipping extraction with mkvextract.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
woody777

Post by woody777 »

I did some testing tonight...

In MakeMKV if I check all of the English subs and forced subs, MKVExtract cannot extract all of the subs. And MKVExtract shows the English subs plus the empty subs (this movie had no forced subs). For example, this particular movie had 5 English subs. In MKVExtract, it shows 10 subs, but 5 of them have no information.

But if I check all of the English subs and none of the forced subs, MKVExtract can extract all of the subs. And MKVExtract only shows 5 subs.

Sidenote: eac3to (using ClownBD) can extract all sub in both scenarios.

Am I doing something wrong or did I find a bug?

(Chetwood -- I'm not sure I follow what you're saying...)
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Check out this thread.
woody777

Post by woody777 »

Chetwood wrote:Check out this thread.
Thanks for the link. I don't think that's related to my problem, but it might just be that I'm not familiar with handbrake.

My problem is that MakeMKV is creating subtitle tracks for forced subs even when the disc does not have forced subs. And for some reason, that makes MKVExtract unable to extract most of the subtitle tracks from my MKV rip.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

It's related to your problem because MakeMKV apparently has trouble identifying forced subs.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Chetwood wrote:It's related to your problem because MakeMKV apparently has trouble identifying forced subs.
The only issue discussed in that thread is that for some discs, when doing forced-only extraction, MakeMKV is not including all required subtitles.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

woody777 wrote:Here's the problem: If I drop a finished MKV into MKVExtract, I get a bunch of empty subtitle tracks.
What do you mean by "drop a finished MKV into MKVExtract"? Are you using a GUI for mkvextract, and if so, which one (a link to where you downloaded it would be helpful)?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

OK. And which version of Mkvtoolnix?
woody777

Post by woody777 »

Romansh wrote:
OK. And which version of Mkvtoolnix?
Most recent -- 5.6.0.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Romansh wrote:The only issue discussed in that thread is that for some discs, when doing forced-only extraction, MakeMKV is not including all required subtitles.
Can't remember all the threads I posted in, but actually MakeMKV also has trouble with non forced-only extraction. Of course it's only with some discs but that doesn't make it any better.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Chetwood wrote:
Romansh wrote:The only issue discussed in that thread is that for some discs, when doing forced-only extraction, MakeMKV is not including all required subtitles.
Can't remember all the threads I posted in, but actually MakeMKV also has trouble with non forced-only extraction. Of course it's only with some discs but that doesn't make it any better.
Noted.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

To be more specific.