The Hunger Games BD, which chapters to choose

Everything related to MakeMKV
bw001

Re: The Hunger Games BD, which chapters to choose

Post by bw001 »

Westyfield2 wrote:I've got this Blu-Ray and still haven't worked out which title it is! :( So should only one of them be 2:22:33 long?
I don't know, but it sounds like it depends whether you have the rental disc or retail.

Maybe 76?

I haven't got this one yet.
Westyfield2 wrote: I found the whole rental discussion thing interesting. Ignoring the whole legal issue that's the same with ripping a rental disc as a purchased disc, I guess the morals come down to whether you keep the MKV file after you've sent the disc back (which is bad)... but obviously the same would be true with a purchased disc once you no longer own it (sell it on/exchange) or if you'd borrowed it from a mate.
I found it even more interesting to read about selling or trading in discs after converting them to UV directly on Vudu's site: http://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?t=446511

Somehow, I think that defeats what the studio's were trying to achieve with UV and disc to digital.

Seems to me that if you're going to do that, you could just rent the disc, take it to Walmart to do disc to digital, remove the stamp and return it to the rental place.
Wondercow

Post by Wondercow »

FWIW to anyone still debating this:

I have a "2-Disc Blu-ray + Digital Copy" region A disc purchased from Best Buy Canada. I ignore titles shorter than 15 seconds and, as you can see, I only have 12 titles, one 43.3 GB, the rest are all under 1 GB:

MakeMKV v1.7.71 on OS X
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Why would you save The Hunger Games in a folder titled "James Bond"? ;-) :P
Wondercow

Post by Wondercow »

Romansh wrote:Why would you save The Hunger Games in a folder titled "James Bond"? ;-) :P
I save all my files to random folders on my hard drive, thus forcing me to improve my memory! 8)
paulster

Post by paulster »

Wondercow wrote:
Romansh wrote:Why would you save The Hunger Games in a folder titled "James Bond"? ;-) :P
I save all my files to random folders on my hard drive, thus forcing me to improve my memory! 8)
We need a 'Like' button on the forum for that!
NateTheFisher

Post by NateTheFisher »

...ripped this one as my first blu-ray. i usually just keep the titles in my dvd's, so i hit rip without even looking at the playlists.. 9 hours and 1/2 a terabyte did seem a little much..

*that's a mistake i'll never make again haha

oh and i have a noob question with regards to audio.

If I have surroundsound on one of my tv's, and only stereo on my other, do i need to rip both the lossless hd (i prefer lossless audio) and the stereo track? or could i literally just rip the lossless hd 8 channel track and have it work in mono/stereo/5.1/7.1?

EDIT: sorry haha didn't realize the thread was done months ago. everyone welcome the new guy to the forum.
bw001

Post by bw001 »

NateTheFisher wrote:.
If I have surroundsound on one of my tv's, and only stereo on my other, do i need to rip both the lossless hd (i prefer lossless audio) and the stereo track? or could i literally just rip the lossless hd 8 channel track and have it work in mono/stereo/5.1/7.1?
You can just rip the lossless hd as long as the playback device(s) supports the codec you've ripped. You should be able to just output stereo to the TV that doesn't have surround.
paulster

Post by paulster »

TrueHD is usually the one to cause problems on certain playback devices. DTS-HD MA has the advantage of the regular DTS core being embedded in the HD audio track so players without DTS-HD MA licenses and codecs can usually pull out the core DTS stream and use this, whereas TrueHD in an MKV container is a purely high-res track.

I keep a FLAC copy of TrueHD tracks alongside the TrueHD track in these files, just for backward compatibility so if I need to play the files on something that can't decode TrueHD then it'll work fine as well, or you could replace the TrueHD track with a FLAC track, or keep the Dolby Digital core as a separate track for these cases, or... anyway, there's a few things you can do!
fourstar77

Post by fourstar77 »

FYI - I tried number 76 and it failed. Mine was 2:22:33 and 41.8 GB. Guess I'll try others. I have the American 2 Disc Blu Ray + Digital Copy version.
jarodcore

Post by jarodcore »

For those of you getting 565 from AnyDVD, but don't see it in when you open it in MakeMKV, it's because it's been removed and considered a duplicate of 00017.mpls (at least it says so in MakeMKV).

AnyDVD:

Total size: 20834592 sectors (40692 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: THE_HUNGER_GAMES
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 30
Removed AACS copy protection!
Java BD protection good playlists: 565
Blu-ray Java signatures fixed!
BD-Live deactivated!
Sony structural BD-J protection removed!

MakeMKV:

File 00521.mpls was added as title #26
File 00534.mpls was added as title #27
File 00549.mpls was added as title #28
File 00552.mpls was added as title #29
Title 00565.mpls is equal to title 00017.mpls and was skipped
File 00567.mpls was added as title #30
File 00607.mpls was added as title #31
Title 00638.mpls is equal to title 00330.mpls and was skipped
File 00665.mpls was added as title #32

I am ripping 00017.mpls with hopes it's correct.

Just thought I'd share.
dsgee2

Post by dsgee2 »

Hi I'm new to this forum but I hope this is useful for anyone that bumps into this post.

I've worked out the "correct" title to rip for the Region B Red 2 disc version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hunger-Games-Di ... 0063FQRTO/

I've narrowed it down to title 44 and 00506.MPLS by looking through the chapters on my player and in handbrake and comparing the durations. There's only one that it can be. I'm waiting on it to rip and it seems to be ripping relatively fast compared to the others I've ripped on my PC so I'll post an update when it's complete.

Is there not a tool that we can do this with? It seems a relatively easy thing to do and I'm surprised if I'm the first person that has done this this way.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

dsgee2 wrote:I've narrowed it down to title 44 and 00506.MPLS by looking through the chapters on my player and in handbrake and comparing the durations. There's only one that it can be. I'm waiting on it to rip and it seems to be ripping relatively fast compared to the others I've ripped on my PC so I'll post an update when it's complete.

Is there not a tool that we can do this with? It seems a relatively easy thing to do and I'm surprised if I'm the first person that has done this this way.
Not with MakeMKV, no, but as others have said AnyDVD provides this functionality. I believe title 44 is correct.
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

romwarrior wrote:Yep, it looks like the rental version is DD only. I didn't realize anyone did that. Lame.

Looks like 00017.mpls is the correct playlist for at least the rental (Neflix).

Sorry for my ignorance. Do I just skip down to the 17th check box on the screen that has two columns - type and description? I went to the 3rd one down and it says source file namem :00017.mpls but it isn't working.
I tried the first title box - no luck, tried again with one that is about 3/4 down the list that says primary title next to it - still no joy.

I've tried about 10 title boxes so far all with the same message in general (different offset numbers) -
Saving 1 titles into directory G:/Azureus/
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00510.m2ts' at offset '786432'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00510.m2ts' at offset '786432'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00503.m2ts' at offset '61440'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00503.m2ts' at offset '61440'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00506.m2ts' at offset '61440'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00506.m2ts' at offset '61440'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00008.m2ts' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00008.m2ts' at offset '0'
Failed to save title 4 to file G:/Azureus//The_Hunger_Games_t04.mkv
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The operating system is saying the drive cannot read the files listed, due to errors. MakeMKV can't work around that, except by trying more times (default is 5 attempts). Sometimes cleaning a disk can help that.

Since it is becoming more common for BD titles to "assemble" a movie from scenes in a number of files, a bad file or two can make the whole disk unusable.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Woodstock wrote:
The operating system is saying the drive cannot read the files listed, due to errors. MakeMKV can't work around that, except by trying more times (default is 5 attempts). Sometimes cleaning a disk can help that.

Since it is becoming more common for BD titles to "assemble" a movie from scenes in a number of files, a bad file or two can make the whole disk unusable.

Thanks - I cleaned the discs several times, tried playing it, not issues, tested with with another app, no issues. I finally tried another BR player and it worked fine. It seems that makemkv and the Pioneer BDR-209d don't play too nice together.