The Hunger Games BD, which chapters to choose

Everything related to MakeMKV
digitalman

Re: The Hunger Games BD, which chapters to choose

Post by digitalman »

Hey guys, I tried 00321 and its a NO does anyone have a clue of any that work ??? Im using my purchased 2 disc the unseen version from amazon in uk and it came in a red box if that makes a difference ?
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

digitalman wrote:Hey guys, I tried 00321 and its a NO does anyone have a clue of any that work ??? Im using my purchased 2 disc the unseen version from amazon in uk and it came in a red box if that makes a difference ?
If the framerate is different for the UK version, then your play length is most likely a tiny bit shorter. You can also try just popping the disk in and looking at the duration for the entire movie, and then finding the associated selection in MakeMKV with that duration.
digitalman

Post by digitalman »

ok tried 00505 and i think its worked. its slightly longer then the others mentioned but as the previous poster pointed out the uk frame rate is different and the movie will be slightly longer checked the movie out in small segments and it all seems to run in order so will use handbrake and report back ! :lol:
digitalman

Post by digitalman »

DJRumpy wrote:
digitalman wrote:Hey guys, I tried 00321 and its a NO does anyone have a clue of any that work ??? Im using my purchased 2 disc the unseen version from amazon in uk and it came in a red box if that makes a difference ?
If the framerate is different for the UK version, then your play length is most likely a tiny bit shorter. You can also try just popping the disk in and looking at the duration for the entire movie, and then finding the associated selection in MakeMKV with that duration.
thanks for the advice it looks like its worked :-)
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

No problem. Glad it did!
rachel

Post by rachel »

Framerates are different in the UK on *DVDs* but not on Blu-Rays. Unless the rest of the world isn't using 23.976fps for movies suddenly? :)

I see precisely one title that's 2:22:33 though it isn't 41.8GB. (it's 41.3GB; thinking this may be a difference in available audio tracks - there's only English, but there is DTS-HD); so I'm going to try that one.
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

That's interesting. I never buy other regions but I didn't know they had settled on film frame rates even for the UK on BD. The old DVD's were 25FPS.

That will make a lot of international BD's available here in the US as long as the language or subtitle has English. I think I'll be ordering The Fog as it's available in the UK but not in the US..lol

Good to know ;)
rachel

Post by rachel »

hey, the site's back! (It went down literally a few minutes after I posted my last post just above which, although I didn't mention it, the sharp-eyed might have noticed I was describing ripping a rental disk. I thought it was *my* account that had been suspended; took a while to establish it was the whole site...)

In answer:

Films have always been 24fps - well, since about the age of the talkies anyway. More recently the standard seems to have become 23.976 to accommodate NTSC conversions, I believe, and that's now how nearly all movies get mastered for blu-ray. I think I have two that are at exactly 24Hz; most are 23.976Hz.

And as far as I know, HDTVs - at least modern ones - are presumably expected to be able to play a full range of blu-ray content and can properly switch to whatever refresh rate they're given by the player; most importantly 23.976Hz, 24Hz, 50Hz, 59.94Hz, 60Hz. So tbh you should be able to get stuff mastered for british TV (eg: most BBC blu-rays) at 1080i@50Hz and expect it to play. And as a result, sticking a PAL-region DVD into your blu-ray player (or the raw makemkv rip from it into your media player) should also work. There's still region-coding of course, but a: i think makemkv defeats it (though I haven't tested that), and b: more disks seem to be being sold region-free anyway; maybe an early sign that content-makers are catching on to the self-defeating nature of all these protections.

That's how it seems to be here anyway. If it turns out HDTVs in the US are sold without the ability to play 50Hz that would suck to be you. ;-) I suspected that might be the case when, for a period, the BBC mastered a load of their blurays with the 1080i@50 content telecined up to 1080i@60, which was an *utter* pain to work satisfactorily into a media player. They've thankfully stopped doing that now, but I don't know if that's just because they only continue to do that in the US (because, perhaps, your HDTVs can't do 50Hz) and they just decided to spend a little bit more and not ruin them for the rest of us. :)
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

It isn't an issue with film rate, but rather with standards. Europe mostly adopted a 25 FPS framerate for their media and broadcasts, so they just sped up the Film framerate from 23.976 to 25 fps.

It's not a matter of being able to play it back, but having to convert the framerate back to it's original framerate. UK content from DVD always sounds too fast which always drove me nuts. I would always have to convert the audio and video back to film rates or it would drive me crazy. I've been encoding since the 90's and it's a common topic and a common question that used to be asked. With the BD's coming with the original framerates, that becomes a non-issue.
rachel

Post by rachel »

DJRumpy wrote:It isn't an issue with film rate, but rather with standards. Europe mostly adopted a 25 FPS framerate for their media and broadcasts, so they just sped up the Film framerate from 23.976 to 25 fps.

It's not a matter of being able to play it back, but having to convert the framerate back to it's original framerate. UK content from DVD always sounds too fast which always drove me nuts. I would always have to convert the audio and video back to film rates or it would drive me crazy. I've been encoding since the 90's and it's a common topic and a common question that used to be asked. With the BD's coming with the original framerates, that becomes a non-issue.
heh, we're used to what we're used to, and notice what we're not. I grew up with movies being cranked up to 25fps for broadcast then video/dvd, so I'm completely tolerant of it.

But the telecining (3:2 pulldown) that was done to broadcast movies on 60Hz NTSC is *really* obvious and jarring to me and makes everything that moves extra-blurry. As was the lower basic resolution for SD NTSC (whereas you probably notice the 50Hz flicker I am - or at least was before modern TVs - acclimated to)
sovanbu

Post by sovanbu »

Still no update as to which one to choose?
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

The instructions are above.
sovanbu

Post by sovanbu »

DJRumpy wrote:The instructions are above.

Previously you said to play it and see which selection is the right length.

Is there an option for me since my Blu Ray player is not working, and I only have a blu ray external drive connected to my mac? I can't play the disc on my mac.
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

The duration is 2:22:33

Just click on each title and find the one with that duration. I would suggest you filter out titles that are less than 1000 seconds in length to keep the list of movies presented manageable. Just click on each item and you'll see the duration listed for each selection.
Westyfield2

Post by Westyfield2 »

I've got this Blu-Ray and still haven't worked out which title it is! :( So should only one of them be 2:22:33 long?

I found the whole rental discussion thing interesting. Ignoring the whole legal issue that's the same with ripping a rental disc as a purchased disc, I guess the morals come down to whether you keep the MKV file after you've sent the disc back (which is bad)... but obviously the same would be true with a purchased disc once you no longer own it (sell it on/exchange) or if you'd borrowed it from a mate.