The Hunger Games BD, which chapters to choose

Everything related to MakeMKV
DJRumpy

Re: The Hunger Games BD, which chapters to choose

Post by DJRumpy »

Good point. I filter out anything less than 20 minutes, which is why I only had a handful of entries. That said, finding the one with that specific duration is easy enough.

Just pop the disk into your player, look to see what the total duration is, and find the equivalent selection in MakeMKV.
yosef

Post by yosef »

So is there a program or something that can identify the correct titles? This running blind seems less than desirable.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

yosef wrote:So is there a program or something that can identify the correct titles? This running blind seems less than desirable.
Not really. The latest version of AnyDVD HD will tell you, but I don't think it figures it out itself, I think it is accessing the web where the AnyDVD people have figured it out themselves for each disc.

The disc authors can make multiple playlists with the same runtime but which are not the actual movie, so it is difficult to write a program to tell which is which.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

joe42 wrote:
yosef wrote:So is there a program or something that can identify the correct titles? This running blind seems less than desirable.
Not really. The latest version of AnyDVD HD will tell you, but I don't think it figures it out itself, I think it is accessing the web where the AnyDVD people have figured it out themselves for each disc.
No, it has support for the Screen Pass copy protection and can determine the menu on its own. It's not looking at some website for it.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

SamuriHL wrote: No, it has support for the Screen Pass copy protection and can determine the menu on its own. It's not looking at some website for it.
Oh, cool. I wonder if MakeMKV will be able to do that someday.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I thought Mike said he was going to try to support something like that at some point but I'm not sure.
Mondays

Post by Mondays »

So what is the answer, rip as an iso? My media player can handle ISOs but I prefer a clean MKV.

Also, on this BD and others with multiple views of what looks like the same title, can I just uncheck the titles I don't want or should I open each title and uncheck all stuff inside the unwanted titles like the subs soundtracks etc... Just unchecking the title would be so much faster, especially with something like the Hunger Games that has 55 duplicate titles in MKV.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Unchecking the title is enough. None of its streams will be included if you do that.
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

You can just go into the preferences and filter out anything less than 'x' number of seconds. For example, I filter everything less than 20 minutes, which gave me only 5 titles to examine from The Hunger Games. From there it was easy to identify which one was the correct one.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

DJRumpy wrote:You can just go into the preferences and filter out anything less than 'x' number of seconds. For example, I filter everything less than 20 minutes, which gave me only 5 titles to examine from The Hunger Games. From there it was easy to identify which one was the correct one.
Unfortunately, that technique does not work on retail discs. There are a bunch of playlists on the retail discs that are at the actual runtime, or close to it. I didn't count, but there are a lot more than 5.

But AnyDVD HD was able to tell me which one to choose.
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

You aren't understanding what I'm saying. This is directly from the retail disk.

Go into your MakeMKV settings, and on the Video tab, in the bottom right corner, set the 'Minimum title length (seconds)' to "1500" (or set it for 1200 if you prefer a 20 minute minimum title length if you often rip half hour tv shows). That will filter out any titles on the disk that are less than 25 (or 20) minutes. Most of the title noise people are seeing are for menu tracks, trailers, intros, etc. With the minimum title length set to 25, you will get a very small list of titles to choose from. From there it's a simple matter of finding the one that is 2:22:33 in length and 41.8 GB in size.
Mondays

Post by Mondays »

@DJRumpy - I know exactly what you are saying, I have title length set to 500 secs and it gets all the non-movie stuff for the most part. (before I discovered this feature a year ago unchecking all the extra stuff was a pain). With my copy of The Hunger Games I have an eye popping 55 Titles that are all around 2 hours 23 minutes - I ripped the 2:22:33 version per your suggestion. So blocking out 20 minute or less titles would not make a difference.

I have always noticed any movies I rip with MakeMKV show 2 - 4 Title playlists for me to pick from. I figure they are director cuts, alternate endings, maybe a program glitch etc.. What I have been doing is select the largest of the Title playlists and never have had an issue with a single rip - Now that I think of it, I wonder if I have selected and watched a few alternate ending version Titles without knowing it??

Now that I know that all I need to do is unselect the unwanted titles and not open each one and unselect all the inside options this pretty much is a non issue.
DJRumpy

Post by DJRumpy »

Actually I was responding to Joe42, not you, but it's definitely a time saver ;)

I filter a longer title just because I rarely ever rip anything less than 25 minutes. Otherwise there are always just to many to go through. It's also handy to set the rip language to english as that speeds things up a bit too for subtitles and whatnot.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

DJRumpy wrote:You aren't understanding what I'm saying. This is directly from the retail disk.
I understand perfectly what you are saying. You are just wrong. The actual retail discs have around 50 titles longer than 20 minutes. You must not have a real retail disc.
Last edited by joe42 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

Mondays wrote:@DJRumpy - I know exactly what you are saying, I have title length set to 500 secs and it gets all the non-movie stuff for the most part. (before I discovered this feature a year ago unchecking all the extra stuff was a pain). With my copy of The Hunger Games I have an eye popping 55 Titles that are all around 2 hours 23 minutes - I ripped the 2:22:33 version per your suggestion. So blocking out 20 minute or less titles would not make a difference.
Right, that is what I was trying to explain to him. I guess he is confused because he does not have a real retail disc.