"Fuzzy" bass audio problems

Everything related to MakeMKV
Ishouldbeasleep

"Fuzzy" bass audio problems

Post by Ishouldbeasleep »

Hello all.

First off thanks so much for this program. I have been wanting to convert my uncle's blu-ray collection for viewing for a while and thought I found the program to do it. Visuals are incredible.

My main problem though has been audio. Playback is fine and the audio syncs to the video. However, all the bass in the audio tracks sound super "fuzzy" and distracting. I wish I could put an audio clip for you all the hear what I am talking about.

Imagine an epic scene with a lot of different noises and what should be an epic awesome background bass. On the files I have ripped, it is there, but it is almost as if the bass is trying to shake something without a subwoofer and it is detracting from the rest of the audio.

It is not my sound system on my computer because when I play back the blu-ray from the disc the bass is fine and incredible.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anyway to change the settings to avoid this fuzzy echoy mess killing my enjoyment of this program and the rips?
Ishouldbeasleep

Re: "Fuzzy" bass audio problems

I was also wondering about AnyDVD HD and whether anyone had similar audio problems.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

This is a fault with your audio decoder. MakeMKV has done nothing to alter the streams.

How are you playing the files back?
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Ishouldbeasleep

I am using VLC player to play the mkv files back.

Do you have any advice on how I could update/change my audio decoder?
Ishouldbeasleep

bump. Hoping someone could give me advice about changing my audio decoder.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Hey!

Sorry I've not replied, been traveling.

I don't really have much experience with VLC, or software players in general. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be by soon to help you.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Does it sound fuzzy on speakers, headset, or both?

The decoders are pretty much hard-coded into VLC, but there are a lot of parameters you can tweak. In Windows, you can go to Tools/Preferences, select "Show Settings (all)" at the bottom, and go through the audio settings.

I would start with setting the equalizer to the "Flat" preset.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Turbogurkan

Post by Turbogurkan »

I have the same problem too! When I watched The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King I experienced it. When the Olifants attacks in the last battle it's a lot of fuzzy sound instead of bass.

Please, I want to watch lotr with epic sound and in HD.
Turbogurkan

Post by Turbogurkan »

I found out that the problem wasn't the mkv file but the volume in vlc. Have it on 100% in vlc and the sound should be clear and perfect :)