Supernatural: Season 2 - Not separate episodes?

Everything related to MakeMKV
ironfist73

Supernatural: Season 2 - Not separate episodes?

Post by ironfist73 »

I have been working my way through my Supernatural seasons, and for no particular reason, Season 2 was the last season I had left to do. Every other season I own, the episodes are on the disc to be ripped separately. It seems this season was authored with the episodes all lumped together and without the credits between them.

So, what I'm wondering is two things:

1) Has anyone else done Season 2? Were your discs authored the same way, or might it be worth my time to try to find another set of discs? I just find it odd that just this one season was done this way.

2) Assuming that different discs aren't going to make things any better for me, am I basically hosed with these? As in, "stuck with one season where everything is not separated into individual episodes, and even if I find a way to split them, they won't have the credits attached"?

Thanks for any help.
lagrange60

Re: Supernatural: Season 2 - Not separate episodes?

Post by lagrange60 »

I am also having the same problem, but oddly enough, not all the episodes are affected. Only episodes 1-6, 7 and 8, 16 and 17, and 19-21 are lumped together. Talk about random.

I have also noticed the same problem with a few other shows. What's interesting is that with these shows, I see all the episodes on a given disc as separate files, but also as a huge file with all of them lumped together! Of course, I always select the separate, smaller files, but I don't have that option with Supernatural: Season 2.
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

ironfist73 wrote:I have been working my way through my Supernatural seasons, and for no particular reason, Season 2 was the last season I had left to do. Every other season I own, the episodes are on the disc to be ripped separately. It seems this season was authored with the episodes all lumped together and without the credits between them.

So, what I'm wondering is two things:

1) Has anyone else done Season 2? Were your discs authored the same way, or might it be worth my time to try to find another set of discs? I just find it odd that just this one season was done this way.

2) Assuming that different discs aren't going to make things any better for me, am I basically hosed with these? As in, "stuck with one season where everything is not separated into individual episodes, and even if I find a way to split them, they won't have the credits attached"?

Thanks for any help.
I saw a similar problem with Fringe Season 1 bluray. Especially the first disc, all of the episodes were lumped together as one track. However, it did not omit the credits.

What happens when you watch the disc in a regular player? Do you get credits for each individual episode? If so the credits are there somewhere and either MakeMKV isn't seeing them (bug), or they are being listed as a separate track altogether (which means you may need to turn the "omit filter" down to titles less than 15 seconds or so to make sure makemkv is seeing them and not skipping them).

Once you determine that, the only way to get separate episodes is to use the "split" feature in mkvmerge. For Fringe, I took the giant file that contained all 4 episodes on the disc and found the chapter markers that corresponded to the beginning of the new episodes. Once you have found them, you can split by timecode and simply enter in the times of the splits and you will get the episodes separated properly, with correct chapter markers. If you are able to find the credits somewhere in a separate file on the disc, you can then use the "append" feature of mkvmerge to join the episode file and credits file together.

It's a lot of work, but it works.
JohnYaya

Post by JohnYaya »

If your final destination is something you compress with HandBrake, it is pretty simple. You still need to find which chapters are the beginning and end of each episode, but then you just select those chapters in HandBrake and export each episode separately. Most if not all the seasons of Dexter are this way as well.
bw001

Post by bw001 »

I needed to re-rip my Supernatural discs and ran into this issue where all six episodes on a disc are combined into one mkv to be created. The first disc I checked was season 1, disc 1. Since I ripped the discs before, I didn't remember this happening with the version I used previously.

I checked which version of MakeMKV that I used previously and it was 1.6.10, so it seemed possible something changed.

I installed several previous versions of MakeMKV and was able to track this down to a change from version 1.7.0 to version 1.7.1.

Here is what I see with version 1.7.0:
Here is what I see with version 1.7.0
Here is what I see with version 1.7.0
Supernatural 1.7.0.jpg (270.95 KiB) Viewed 29683 times
Notice that each episode is listed separately as separate segment maps.

Here is what I see with version 1.7.1:
Here is what I see with version 1.7.1
Here is what I see with version 1.7.1
Supernatural 1.7.1.jpg (278.79 KiB) Viewed 29683 times
Notice that all episodes are grouped together in one segment map.

Hopefully this is something that can be corrected in a future version.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

But you do have them as separate episodes as well, four lines down, right?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Mike, I think what he's pointing out is that there are 6 episodes within the two big files, but only 4 individual episodes shown when using 1.8.4.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Woodstock wrote:Mike, I think what he's pointing out is that there are 6 episodes within the two big files, but only 4 individual episodes shown when using 1.8.4.
Yeah - took me a while to spot that, too.
angelgraves13

Post by angelgraves13 »

I had the same problem with FRINGE Season 1. It created one file, then I used mkvmerge to split the files using the timecodes for the chapters that began new episodes. It came out perfect, but required a few extra steps. I also had to rename Chapters again in mkvmerge.
bw001

Post by bw001 »

Woodstock wrote:Mike, I think what he's pointing out is that there are 6 episodes within the two big files, but only 4 individual episodes shown when using 1.8.4.
Actually, the 4 "individual episodes" are only 2 episodes listed twice. The two with 5 chapters at 6.9 GB are the same and the two with 6 chapters at 6.3 GB are also the same.
Tinface

Post by Tinface »

Sorry for bringing back this old thread but the issue seems to be valid still. I am in the process of ripping Fringe. This is the only title longer than 1000 seconds on disc four:

Code: Select all

Title information
Name: Fringe Season 1 Disc 4 (English)
Source file name: 00004.mpls
Duration: 3:20:21
Chapters count: 30
Size: 30.9 GB
Segment count: 4
Segment map: 1,11,14,6
File name: Fringe_Season_1_Disc_4_t00.mkv
Other discs suffer from the same issue. The amount of titles on all five discs add up to only about 10, so some of these combo titles need to be broken down. Is this an error with MakeMKV or do I need to use other tools to complete the rip of Fringe?

Regards.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I believe the reason why the Supernatural episodes seem to be grouped "randomly" is because some of them have audio commentaries and are therefore separated from the other episodes.

I just ripped Iron Man: Armoured Adventures and according to MakeMKV all the episodes were combined into a single title. I'd ripped the discs and cut them at chapters with MKVMerge but found that they weren't cut in the right positions and some of the episodes had 1 second of the next episode attached to the end. I had a problem with the audio in one episode, the time-codes seemed to be wrong and the resulting file was unplayable, so I used MakeMKV to make a Backup Copy of the disc and used MediaInfo to look at the original M2TS file. What I found was interesting, although MakeMKV combined all the episodes into a single title, on the disc itself all the episodes had their own m2ts files. I deleted the old rips and instead used MKVToolnix and EAC3to to deconstruct the M2TS files to create perfect copies of each episode. I created new chapters using MMG and AVIDEMUX and even managed to fix the episode with the broken audio using eac3to and a powershell script I wrote to truncate the Star Trek: TNG season 2 episodes, which would have been impossible using the original MKV rip.

Next time I encounter a TV show with combined episodes it might be worth the effort of making a backup first and checking if they really are combined or just look that way.
spleck

Post by spleck »

This is still a problem with v1.8.11. MakeMKV won't list all the episodes that are on the disc. Some discs will list two episodes twice, instead of the 6 that are on the disc. New versions show a single title with all 6 episodes, while 1.7.0 lists only the individual episodes.

I made backups, and then reverted to v1.7.0 and was able to select all the episodes from the backups (couldn't read off the discs with old version due to errors - revoked AACS?). So far, I've used this workaround for season 2, but shouldn't this get fixed?

Are there any future plans to let us manually select segments, or better parsing for titles?
spleck

Post by spleck »

mike admin wrote:But you do have them as separate episodes as well, four lines down, right?
Nope. Those 4 titles are 2 episodes listed twice. 4 of the 6 episodes are missing when using any version from 1.7.1 to 1.8.11.
alxscott

Post by alxscott »

I'm having same problem with Supernatural Season 1 Disc 1 - 4 Episodes are correctly extracted as four individual titles ; but two titles are extracted which each contain two episodes back to back.

ISO extraction and decryption shows the 6 episodes with their individual m2ts files. Not sure why MakeMKV didn't manage to DI the individual titles