Iron Man forced subtitles says empty after rip

Everything related to MakeMKV
lamski

Iron Man forced subtitles says empty after rip

Post by lamski »

I picked up Iron Man on blu ray and I know there are forced subtitles as my player shows them fine when playing the disc. When using MakeMKV to rip it I always choose the regular english and the forced english subtitle tracks however when the rip was complete it stated the forced subtitle track was empty and was removed. Playing back the mkv file, the forced subtitles are definitely not there. I have tried the top 2 english forced tracks, didnt seem to work. Which subtitle track is the correct one and why did it state the forced track was empty when I know there is a forced track on the disc?
paulster

Re: Iron Man forced subtitles says empty after rip

Post by paulster »

Forced subs don't actually have to be flagged as forced within the main language subtitle track, so in these cases they exist in a separate subtitle stream and are turned on automatically by the BD-J code in the disc itself. They aren't nearly as common as flagged forced subs, but some discs use them and you have to be aware of that and ready to find them manually if necessary.

Just rip all the English language subtitles and then see which ones are left. One track will be the forced subtitles and you can get rid of any others you don't want afterwards by remuxing with MKVtoolnix or even running the MKV back through MakeMKV.

My Iron Man disc is in storage now so I can't tell you specifically which track it is, but someone else may have it to hand or remember what the structure was like. But you really should be able to figure it out quite easily.
bw001

Post by bw001 »

The US Region A BD of Iron Man has 3 english subtitle tracks. The first is English, the second is English SDH. Neither of those contain forced subs.

The third contains 37 forced subs as a separate track. If you only want forced subs, uncheck all the subtitle tracks except the 3rd english track forced only checkbox.

BTW, Iron Man 2 has hardcoded forced english subs.
lamski

Post by lamski »

bw001 wrote:The US Region A BD of Iron Man has 3 english subtitle tracks. The first is English, the second is English SDH. Neither of those contain forced subs.

The third contains 37 forced subs as a separate track. If you only want forced subs, uncheck all the subtitle tracks except the 3rd english track forced only checkbox.

BTW, Iron Man 2 has hardcoded forced english subs.

Funny it is the last one on the list as i haven't tried that one yet. I tried the first two. The last one is on the very bottom under all the other languages. I just thought it would be the first one on the list like many other discs.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

bw001 wrote:If you only want forced subs, uncheck all the subtitle tracks except the 3rd english track forced only checkbox.
Shouldn't make any difference if you check the "regular" third track or the forced only checkbox.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
bw001

Post by bw001 »

Chetwood wrote:
bw001 wrote:If you only want forced subs, uncheck all the subtitle tracks except the 3rd english track forced only checkbox.
Shouldn't make any difference if you check the "regular" third track or the forced only checkbox.
OK, I guess you're right. But, if you leave the default with both checked, you'll end up with 2 identical subtitle tracks.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Sure about that? Mike may have anticipated this, similar to empty forced tracks being discarded.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
bw001

Post by bw001 »

Chetwood wrote:Sure about that? Mike may have anticipated this, similar to empty forced tracks being discarded.
Yes, I've ended up with 2 subtitle tracks containing the same subtitles, when a title, like Iron Man contains a separate forced track that's marked as forced.