Why does MakeMKV Allow...

Everything related to MakeMKV
surfliner8888

Why does MakeMKV Allow...

Post by surfliner8888 »

Full Disk Backups of Blu-ray Like Ms. Doubfire but not DVD's like Home Improvement? I noticed that the other night.
paulster

Re: Why does MakeMKV Allow...

Post by paulster »

This is a good question. I'm sure a number of people would want to have a full backup on disc that could be gone back to for extra features, etc. without having to pull out the original disc, whatever format it began its life on. I know I do since all my physical discs end up in storage.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Because MakeMKV can do full disc backups of Blurays, but not DVDs.

SC
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

surfliner8888 wrote:Full Disk Backups of Blu-ray Like Ms. Doubfire but not DVD's like Home Improvement? I noticed that the other night.
IIRC, because MakeMKV can only handle DVD structural protection when the output is MKV, for some reason. So a "full DVD backup" would not be completely stripped of all copy protection and/or may have additional issues.
paulster

Post by paulster »

Smithcraft wrote:Because MakeMKV can do full disc backups of Blurays, but not DVDs.
Yeah, that's a given, but the question is 'why' MakeMKV is coded to only do full disc backups of Blu-rays.

I use another product to back up my DVDs, HD-DVDs and Blu-rays so I don't have to go into storage to retrieve the physical discs if I ever need them, but it would be nice if MakeMKV handled them all for both ripping and backup.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Ask Mike what that is, since he is the one that would know.

Or it might have been answered in one of the other threads that cover this same topic.

SC