NO Blu Ray discs work

Everything related to MakeMKV
zazelsodo

NO Blu Ray discs work

Post by zazelsodo »

Hey All,

I have been looking through the forum, and I can't seem to find my specific issue. There's is nothing technicallty wrong. The software is not throwing any errors, and the logs say that everything is working.

The issue I'm having is that for ANY disc I rip (except 1), the Audio and Vido do not sync up. In 80% of the cases the Video runs slow, while the audio runs at normal speed, or vice versa..the Video runs fine, but the Audio runs slower. I have tried ripping straight from Disc or from mounted ISOs that I have for other Blu Rays I've done...I am running AnyDVD and currently I can use tsMuxer to strip a file down to blu ray file structures and then use ImgBurn to make the ISO.

I have tried Goodfellas, Hellboy (1&2), Kung Fu Panda, Transformers, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Chocolate, The Fifth Element, Eagle Eye, Body of Lies, Traitor, Tropic Thunder, Iron Man, Slumdog Millionaire...There's many more too....Twilight, Wall-E, Wanted, Knight's Tale, Princess Bride...the list keeps going. =D

The ONLY disc that has ever worked form me is "Training Day" - and that was from a mounted ISO.

I own these movies, so I can try either way, but my goal is to have them all in my media center...

I was hoping MakeMkv would be a one stop shop for me, and also remove my reliance on PowerDVD so ANY help that someone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
NomadCF

Re: NO Blu Ray discs work

Post by NomadCF »

The issues your having isn't with MakeMKV it's with your codec&player.

Whats codec pack are you using CCCP,K-lite, other ?
What media player are you trying to use media player, media player classic, VLC, other ?
zazelsodo

Post by zazelsodo »

I have installed the Shark007 codec pack, and I'm playing the files in VMC. I have all of my television episodes ripped to individual mkv files, and Media Center has no problem with those. I am looking for a singular experience, so I don't have to use my keyboard. If I have to run the MKV out of Media Center (VLC, Media Player classic, etc..), then there's no advantage to an MKV file, as opposed to simply double clicking an ISO and launching PowerDVD.

If there is a different codec pack I need, etc...let me know, but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks for looking! any help would be greatly appreciated
-zaz
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

Alot of software has issues with mkv files and it's been in my experience to be a player and codec problem. But a good way test this download tsmuxer (it's free) and cover the file to a TS or M2TS (although a TS file will be alittle smaller). This doesn't change the ripped movie/EP in anyway other then what it's container is (Think of it like moving/dumping potato chips from the bag into a Tupperware container). When try to play the newly formed file and see if you still have the same issue.

Try XBMC as your no keyboard solution, I think you'll be allot happier.

Side note 1: I recommend CCCP codec packs for MKVs, but like all packs it's subjective.
Side note 2: I convert ALL my mkv file to TS just for this reason. It makes it alot easier & mroe compatible to transport and play TS/M2TS files on others PC/WD players/etc then MKVs. But this is no means a knock against MKVs as I do love it as a container.
Side note 3: MKVs files VS iso is a heated debate (and as such is very subjective). I personally hate ISO as they contain alot of useless extras (for my needs) like subtitles, other languages, Trailers, extra clips, etc. Thus they take up more room, and the players need to be more complex to play a ISO as it needs to decompress the ISO time it wants to play along with how it needs to be able to handle fast forwarding / rewind. not to mention the extra overhead of dealing with 1 large file VS X smaller ones.
zazelsodo

Post by zazelsodo »

NomadCF wrote:I personally hate ISO as they contain alot of useless extras (for my needs) like subtitles, other languages, Trailers, extra clips, etc. Thus they take up more room, and the players need to be more complex to play a ISO as it needs to decompress the ISO time it wants to play along with how it needs to be able to handle fast forwarding / rewind. not to mention the extra overhead of dealing with 1 large file VS X smaller ones.
Nomad,

Based on your statement above, I wanted to let you know, that by using TSMuxer, you can remove EVERYTHING but the movie. I only select the movie stream from the BD, and remove subtitles, menus, etc...so my ISO is nothing more than a disc of the raw movie.

I will try a few other formats, such as "ts" - since I use TSMuxer already, I see no problem in trying this out.

Thanks for taking the time on this. I've downloaded another codec pack, and will try again.
zazelsodo

Post by zazelsodo »

I don't know if this will get noticed again, but I still cannot play blu rays that are ripped as MKV files. MakeMKV seems to rip the files fine...but I've rebuilt my media center twice now, trying two different sets of codec...FFShow and CCCP. Neither work. The movie sounds great, but the video moves in slow motion still. At least now, the problem is always consistent.

I'm trying to be able to play these insid eMedia Center. I'm still running Vista, and hav eZERO problems with anything on my media center, besides this. When I Mux the movie to an ISO, it plays fine...I REALLY wanna be able to use MKV file, so that I can compress them a little. I understand I'll lose some quality, but they'll still be better than standard DVDs.

Does anyone have ANY other suggestions?

Thanks!
-Zaz
echn111

Post by echn111 »

Not sure why you insist on talking about media center as it's just distracting from your problem. (Or is the reason for the extreme focus on media centre because the .mkv's work with everything else 'except' media centre? In which case this may not be the right forum)

Anyway, is your computer actually capable of playing high definition files (i.e. from BluRay's) using any normal media player (and honestly, for troubleshooting, who cares if it's media centre or not)? Perhaps your computer is crap and unable to handle it. That would explain why low definition files representing TV shows with low quality video and sound work while high definition movies with proper surround sound have issues.
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

Of course Media Center is his problem, because it sucks! :lol:

If the MKV files play fine in VLC or MPC or KMPlayer or any other program, then the problem is Media Center. I've got a brand new build that plays everything perfectly via KMPlayer/ffdshow or VLC, but Media Center chokes with pretty much the same issue described by zazelsodo. I can't say I care much to research why, since Media Center is a steaming pile of suck, but there's definitely no problem with MakeMKV that needs to be addressed. I've even done several of the titles mentioned in the first post, and of course, they play fine....OUTSIDE Media Center!