Suggestion: prefs for which checkboxes to auto-check

Everything related to MakeMKV
PaulC

Suggestion: prefs for which checkboxes to auto-check

Post by PaulC »

I'd like to suggest additional preferences for some additional logic to control for which checkboxes are automatically checked after scanning the disc:

a) the ability to indicate my 'preferred' language (English, in my case), and not automatically check audio or subtitle tracks that are not in that language
b) an option to only check the first audio track in my preferred language in each title.
c) the option to never automatically check any subtitle tracks
d) the option to never automatically check anything for titles other than the one with the longest duration (implied 'main title').

Invariably, I uncheck everything, then just turn on the 'main' title (the longest one) and the first 5.1 English audio track in that title. Even an 'uncheck all' button would be a help.

Another nice option would be to incorporate the disc title in the created file name (e.g. 'Madagascar 2 - 07.mkv' instead of 'title07.mkv'). I'd also like the option if only one title is being extracted, don't bother with the additional directory to place it in - i.e. 'Madagascar 2/title07.mkv' becomes 'Madagascar 2 - 07.mkv' (no directory) if only title 7 is being ripped.
Wasabi

Re: Suggestion: prefs for which checkboxes to auto-check

Post by Wasabi »

I love this idea, and it seems simple enough to implement.

I pretty much go through the same routine as you, manually unchecking a ton of boxes, only to have a very select few remaining.

I'm not sure how feasible this is, but would it be possible to preview the audio tracks? I'd like to keep commentaries, but if the 2.0 track is just the 5.1 track reduced to two channels, I'd have no reason to keep it.
RickL

Post by RickL »

Yes, add me to these requests. I uncheck all titles but the main one. Some of these disks have over a screen full of titles that need to be unselected. It's easy enough to do but would be much easier if there was a default setting to only select the largest title or add the option to clear all.

Another suggestion would be to have the program open in the same location that it was last used in. I'm running the program on a remote PC with the desktop windowed instead of in full screen mode. With the remote window sized down, I often need to scroll to access what I need when it opens in a different location every time.

One more suggestion, although it's already been stated that MakeMKV will not support it. I have run into a few DVDs with "MPEG Audio" format. If it can be supported without too much trouble, please consider it. It isn't a showstopper for me because I can convert it to .ts format with audio. I much prefer the ease of use MakeMKV offers over tsMuxeR though.

Great program as it is, but like most anything else, there is always room for improvement.
booknut

Post by booknut »

I'll throw in my support for this request as well. I mentioned it in another thread, but that was just an aside for a different feature request.

Love the program though.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Guys, you all know about right-click on title tree and selecting "uncheck all" from a popup menu, rrright? :)
Spook

Post by Spook »

mike admin wrote:Guys, you all know about right-click on title tree and selecting "uncheck all" from a popup menu, rrright? :)

Great, an undocumented "Feature" :)

I didn't know that was there
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

mike admin wrote:Guys, you all know about right-click on title tree and selecting "uncheck all" from a popup menu, rrright? :)

That's cool and all, but choosing a language in the Preferences to automatically select would be way cooler. I think most people only want one language of audio & subs.
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

And it still doesn't work right. Sling Blade Blu-ray has 20+ language subtitles, and "unselect all" only unchecks the main branch for each. The forced subs all stay checked. I know there's probably little chance that there is anything in those forced subs, but still...it would be nice if it just worked properly.

Also, TV discs are a chore to select and deselect just what you want. I still think there should be a global setting for preferred languages, and ALL subs in those languages should be checked by default, all others deselected. And a global on/off switch for those who don't care about any subtitles in any language.

Same for audio. The English 2.0 tracks are always deselected, and those are generally commentary tracks, which I want to keep. Yet languages I don't care about are always selected. Frankly, the current default makes no sense whatsoever. The only time I don't have to fuss with it is when there is only one English audio track and either no subs or only English subs. *Every* other disc needs tweaking because of the bizarre default choices.

Please give us more options! :mrgreen: