Bluray Region Codes

Everything related to MakeMKV
SidebandSamurai

Bluray Region Codes

Post by SidebandSamurai »

Hello,

I am thinking about purchasing a Region B Bluray for my wife.

This is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUATERMASS-AND- ... 53f03cc090

Can MakeMKV remove the region code so that I can view it on XBMC?

If MakeMKV can't what program can?

If yes, any problems moving from PAL to NTSC? It appears that this particular Blueray is not available in the US as a Region A BluRay. I would be looking for audio/video sync problems.

Thanks for your help.

--Sideband Samurai
Romansh

Re: Bluray Region Codes

Post by Romansh »

The main feature is always 24p or 2400/1001p on Blu-ray. It's possible there are some where the main feature is 25 fps, but I've never encountered any. In most cases, even special features are "NTSC-compatible".
paulster

Post by paulster »

Romansh wrote:The main feature is always 24p or 2400/1001p on Blu-ray. It's possible there are some where the main feature is 25 fps, but I've never encountered any. In most cases, even special features are "NTSC-compatible".
That's not strictly true. The main feature is usually 24p, but it can be 50i or 60i (or even 25p or 30p if you get one of those rare discs that's 720 rather than 1080 resolution). It usually depends on whether the source material is film or video.

24p and 60i are definitely the most common, but material that originated in Europe on video for TV will likely be 50i because they're going to encounter some loss in quality converting it to a different framerate.
SidebandSamurai

Thanks for the feed back so far ...

My question still remains unanswered, or is this a it depends answer :-). Will MakeMKV do that conversion for me on my computer mounted bluRay player set for Region A or will I have to get some other software? I only have that one title I am thinking about buying. It is film material, not TV.

Thanks

--Sideband Samurai
paulster

Post by paulster »

MKVs don't have region codes, so your player and/or TV won't have an issue with the MKV file unless it can't actually play the particular format of the video (24p, 50i, 60i, 50p or 60p) that's in the MKV file.
SidebandSamurai

Great, That I already understood.

but my question still remains unanswered.

Can I rip a Region B bluray disk in a region A reader using MakeMKV?

Sideband Samurai
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Short answer: Yes.

Slightly Longer Answer: Blu-ray drives are not region coded. Only that playback software is.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox