What Titles To Check and not Check

Everything related to MakeMKV
srmsrm

What Titles To Check and not Check

Post by srmsrm »

I'm new to MakeMKV.

Below is an example of the Fugitive DVD with how things were checked. Other DVD's only had one title so the choice was easy. I made no changes to MakeMKV settings.

Since I'm new to this, how do I know what titles to select? I would assume the one with 42 chapters, however, not sure about the other titles especially with one being about 1 GB.

Also, when subtitles are checked, does it mean to only show forced subtitles? I see that option from reading other messages about forced subtitles with BlueRays, but don't see that option with DVDs.
1.jpg
1.jpg (83.64 KiB) Viewed 10965 times
Thank you much for the help.

Shawn
Smithcraft

Re: What Titles To Check and not Check

Post by Smithcraft »

The 5.8 GB/42 Chapter file is the movie, the others are extras, like behind the scenes, making of, and actor profiles type of stuff.

SC
srmsrm

Post by srmsrm »

SC:

Thanks for the email. So rule of thumb would be always select the title that is the largest size?

I'm just looking for some guidelines to go by as I convert my DVDs.

Any suggestions concerning when subtitles are checked, does it mean to only show forced subtitles?

Shawn
MBPi7

Post by MBPi7 »

Additional Suggestion - Especially on TV shows, check i-Tunes or Wikipedia for length of movie/show and in makemkv you can see the duration of file. Some discs will have several large files to choose from. As far as subtitles unless you want other languages you can uncheck those. For true subtitle support you may need an additional app like Subler. You will find some movies have it burned in and others do not, also handbrake may drop the subtitle, while you see it in the preview of the mkv.

It would be nice if makemkv would just add an unselect/select all button or by default unselect all the checkboxes. Gets annoying on large disc.
paulster

Post by paulster »

MBPi7 wrote:It would be nice if makemkv would just add an unselect/select all button or by default unselect all the checkboxes. Gets annoying on large disc.
There is one on the context menu. Just right-click and it's there.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

MBPi7 wrote:Additional Suggestion - Especially on TV shows, check i-Tunes or Wikipedia for length of movie/show and in makemkv you can see the duration of file.
Why go on iTunes, when you can playback the episodes on your computer and check the length there?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
srmsrm

Post by srmsrm »

Thanks all for the feedback.