Vortexbox, Boxee, makemkv, picture size, sound level

Everything related to MakeMKV
VanUK

Vortexbox, Boxee, makemkv, picture size, sound level

Post by VanUK »

Hi all, I've got a little problem I'm hoping someone more expert can help me with.

I've had a vortexbox for about 18 months now. I've been ripping my DVD collection to it so that I can put all my DVDs in the loft. I recently bought a Boxee as a media controller so that I can access the mkv files on the vortexbox and view them on my projector (I also use an amp for this).

It works well enough, however there are 2 issues:

The picture on screen is smaller than my projector screen size. I have to use the overscan button on my projector to increase the size. I hate doing this as it detracts from the picture and also I don't see why I should have to do that. Also I thought it was doing it on all the mkv files but I put something else on and it was the correct size. Obviously something is not quite right, but because makemkv is on the vortexbox and not a PC I'm not able to fiddle with any settings (I'm not good with Linux and command line admin).

Also the sound of these mkv files is so much quieter than watching anything else, again I don't understand why.

Lastly, the mkv files play without subtitles, which ordinarily is fine, except when watching foreign films! I don't know how to change this, if at all.

I'm not sure if these questions are for the Vortexbox forum or Makemkv, but other people using makemkv in this way may know the answers.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it! I've got this far, just a little push and it will be perfect :-)

Thanks
dancapp

Re: Vortexbox, Boxee, makemkv, picture size, sound level

Post by dancapp »

I'm having the same issue with picture size/dimension. Did you (or anyone else) ever solve or explain this issue?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The video in the MKV file is the same as came off the DVD. Generally, you would expect the display to scale that as needed, but your projector isn't doing that.

You COULD process the video through something like handbrake to tailor its dimensions to what the projector expects, but that will affect the video quality.

What is the native resolution of the projector?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

You could also alter the information in the mkv file with mkvtoolnix, rather than transcode the video.

SC