Idiots Guide To 3D

Everything related to MakeMKV
ltm82

Re: Idiots Guide To 3D

Post by ltm82 »

mukiex wrote:I'm not entirely sure that PowerDVD is actually opening the 3D MVC layer. From my test, it seems that PowerDVD only offers to do on-the-fly conversion to 3D. I've never had the 3D button actually see the right eye video.

It's easy to tell, because when PowerDVD is converting.
See this button, to the left of the 3D one?

If PowerDVD is converting, clicking that button will give you options to control depth and whatnot.
If it's actually displaying 3D content, this section will be mostly grayed out.

If you're getting the latter on 3D MKV files, please inform us as to your settings, and PowerDVD DEFINITELY doesn't handle it by default.
Are You the Mukiex on the Cyberlink Forum?

Thanks for your information.
Chiasmos

Post by Chiasmos »

PWDVD 12 is currently playing in spectacular full 3D from my initial makemkv 3D backup of a retail disk that resulted in a 30GB .mkv of "Drive Angry". I was a bit surprised after reading here and there about players not supporting MVC, also from my first attempt at playing directly from the file location with a "right click" and selecting "play with" PDVD... and the player just crashed, but then fired up just PDVD with 3D "already on", searched for and selected the MKV file location from within the player, then "doubled clicked" the nice named media file Icon... and away it flew into stunning 3D. :)

My System specs are nothing to brag about... only a PC Intel Q6700, 4GB RAM, Pioneer BDR-203 and Nvidia GTX 460 DVI connection out via Dual-Link cable to ASUS 278H native 120Hz 3D Monitor with built-in 3D emitter and Nvidia 3DVision 2. Maybe the only other PC player that can play these 3D MKVs is Stereoscopic Player 1.9.6 or higher and some external media players connected to the proper Display. I'll hopefully be trying out these 3D MKV on another computer system soon and maybe even a media player in the near future and plan to report back the results.

Good morning and good luck
silverfoxxxx

Post by silverfoxxxx »

Hi,
I have tried today and definitely can't get my MVC rips to work with powerdvd 12, stereoscopic player is the only program I find that works properly, not sure what you guys are doing different but I have about 15 blu rays ripped to my drive and all show multiview count of 2 so the rip is correct.
Chiasmos

Post by Chiasmos »

silverfoxxxx wrote:Hi,
I have tried today and definitely can't get my MVC rips to work with powerdvd 12, stereoscopic player is the only program I find that works properly, not sure what you guys are doing different but I have about 15 blu rays ripped to my drive and all show multiview count of 2 so the rip is correct.
Well, I'm happy to report that the 3D MVC mkvs are also playing with PowerDVD 12 in perfect 3D on a couple other PC systems. One a HTPC and other a 3D Laptop, both running XBMC with PDVD 12 as the external player. Not doing anything really different, The mkvs are made from original source disks, either made directly from the BD Drive or from a Full ISO backup onto an external hard drive, from where they are played. All the systems have Nvidia GPU, either with latest drivers, or in the case with the 3D Laptop, a manufacturer modified Nvidia driver version, also all have the Nvidia 3DPlay Vision 2 software. These were very simple to use, especially reflecting back on all the trials and tribs back in the earliest days of DVD, BD, HDDVD and BD3D just attempting to get anything archived and... even play. :wink:

ltm82

Post by ltm82 »

Chiasmos wrote:
silverfoxxxx wrote:Hi,
Well, I'm happy to report that the 3D MVC mkvs are also playing with PowerDVD 12 in perfect 3D on a couple other PC systems. One a HTPC and other a 3D Laptop, both running XBMC with PDVD 12 as the external player. Not doing anything really different, The mkvs are made from original source disks, either made directly from the BD Drive or from a Full ISO backup onto an external hard drive, from where they are played. All the systems have Nvidia GPU, either with latest drivers, or in the case with the 3D Laptop, a manufacturer modified Nvidia driver version, also all have the Nvidia 3DPlay Vision 2 software. These were very simple to use, especially reflecting back on all the trials and tribs back in the earliest days of DVD, BD, HDDVD and BD3D just attempting to get anything archived and... even play. :wink:

Hi Chiasmos,

Sorry but in my opinion the 3d is managed by Nvidia 3DPlay Vision.
Could you please remove Nvidia 3DPlay Vision 2 and to retry the test?

ltm82
mukiex

Post by mukiex »

ltm82 wrote: Are You the Mukiex on the Cyberlink Forum?

Thanks for your information.
Yes, I am.
Chiasmos wrote:PWDVD 12 is currently playing in spectacular full 3D from my initial makemkv 3D backup of a retail disk
No, it's not. It's converting. How do I know this? Cyberlink THEMSELVES still have "MVC track in MKV" as a known feature request. Source:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21460.page
Cyberlink wrote:[022] [open] Cannot playback MKV 3D created with MakeMKV
This page was last edited on the 6th (yesterday), so it's still a known issue. They've only recently (in the last month) been made aware of this. While PowerDVD does support MVC, and hardware acceleration of it, making the links to that kinda track in an MKV file has not yet been done. At best you're getting a conversion. Please see my post with the image specifying that.