Idiots Guide To 3D

Everything related to MakeMKV
picotrain

Idiots Guide To 3D

Post by picotrain »

Hi All

I am new to MakeMKV, have used CloneDVD for years, but am transfering to makeMKV, no problems what so ever with full or partial rips of DVD's or infact I believe bluerays.
However I am in the middle of ripping my collection in preperation for delivery of the new Dune Base 3D media player, so at the moment I cant test the rips I have made.
I have several 3d titles, I have ripped them as I think I should, however when using mediainfo to read file info between a normal blueray and a 3d blueray I am not seeing any diffrence.

So as I cant test them on the Dune player yet, I am a little worried I am ripping them wrong or I cant even do this with MakeMKV and or Dune.
Please advise guys, dont want to waste hours ripping them if I cant achieve simple 3d playback via an MKV file using Dune.

FINAL Destination 3D - Media Info

General
Unique ID : 36904268119500994163896085086178557037 (0x1BC380E5AF2E00C9B9415E8AAC1EBC6D)
Complete name : \\NAS\media\Movies\Final Destination 4 [3D]\Final Destination 4_3D.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 10.4 GiB
Duration : 1h 21mn
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 18.1 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2013-01-26 12:40:24
Writing application : MakeMKV v1.7.10 win(x64-release)
Writing library : libmakemkv v1.7.10 (1.2.0/1.1.0) win(x64-release)

Video
ID : 1
Format : VC-1
Format profile : Advanced@L3
Codec ID : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / WVC1
Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile : MA / Core
Mode : 16
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : Unknown / 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossless / Lossy
Title : Lossless
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

What you rekon guys?
Any Help or guidance appreciated

Pico
Romansh

Re: Idiots Guide To 3D

Post by Romansh »

Looks like you picked the wrong title… the file above is definitely 2D.

According to this review, your disc should have a 2D VC-1 encoded copy and a 3D MVC encoded copy.
ltm82

Post by ltm82 »

In my opinion it's a fight a losing battle. Mike Admin tells everytime that the features to extract the 3D it's seems only supported by Stereoscopics player. I don't understand because MakeMKV team (Mike Admin???) does not explain to the software house like Cyberlink or similar how to read this MKV 3D. Solving this incompatibility in my opinion is a good solution to sell more licences of MakeMkv.

I would like to know by Mike Admin his opinion about Stereoscopics player. In particular if Mike Admin considers the MKV 3D read by Stereoscopic player equal to original BD3D read by Powerdvd12 for example.

Another question is: How Does MakeMKV team (Mike Admin ???) make the test on the new version of MakeMKV. How do you compare the result between original support (Like BD3D ) and MKV 3D. What do they use?

Mike Could you please explain us?
picotrain

Post by picotrain »

Ok, although as a MakeMKV forum this may not be the place to ask, but I don't care if makemkv can or can't do what I want it to do, or in fact whether it can do what it says it can do.

Can someone in the know, advise me based on the purchase of a Dune base 3d, what software to use that can rip correctly a full quality (no compression) 3d blue ray title, main movie / title only.
I don't want full rip iso's as they take up way to much space.

So any ideas guys, I have no problem paying for software if it does what I want, which I though was simple. Software to do a full quality partial 3d rip to a file or container that my 3d dune will happily see, recognise and play to my 3d projector, am I missing something or just not looking at the right software.

Thanks in advance guys!

Pico
lightsabersetc

Post by lightsabersetc »

I can play my 3D files with no issues using Cyberlink PowerDVD 12. MakeMKV generates what is considered to be the industry standard in BluRay 3D, which is 2 full 1080p video streams compressed using the MVC (Multiview Video Coding) codec; which is not supported by most mainstream MKV players, thus you only see the first video stream. You can easily create an SBS video by using ffmpeg, which is free. Going to BD3D is a bit more difficult, but there is also free software to do it.

MakeMKV does not, by default, save the MVC video. To make sure you are saving it, scan the disc and make sure the 2 video tracks (in each title) are selected.

On some additional notes:
You are losing a lot of quality by down-converting to SBS; why have an amazing 3D TV if not to use it to its full potential?
BD3D is an older standard, with MVC being its successor. I haven't read the specifics of the formats, but I trust that the industry upgraded for a reason.
ltm82

Post by ltm82 »

lightsabersetc wrote:I can play my 3D files with no issues using Cyberlink PowerDVD 12. MakeMKV generates what is considered to be the industry standard in BluRay 3D, which is 2 full 1080p video streams compressed using the MVC (Multiview Video Coding) codec; which is not supported by most mainstream MKV players, thus you only see the first video stream. You can easily create an SBS video by using ffmpeg, which is free. Going to BD3D is a bit more difficult, but there is also free software to do it.

MakeMKV does not, by default, save the MVC video. To make sure you are saving it, scan the disc and make sure the 2 video tracks (in each title) are selected.

On some additional notes:
You are losing a lot of quality by down-converting to SBS; why have an amazing 3D TV if not to use it to its full potential?
BD3D is an older standard, with MVC being its successor. I haven't read the specifics of the formats, but I trust that the industry upgraded for a reason.
Could you please tell us how do you play MKV 3D with powedvd12? I have opened a ticket in Cyberlink to solve this issue.
Inside the issue list of PowerDVD12 (Inside the Cyberlink forum) there is in the last position "[022] [open] Cannot playback MKV 3D created with MakeMKV".

Could you compare the original BD3D and the MKV 3D (Created by makemkv) ? In your opinion the 3D from the original one is equal to MKV 3D?
lightsabersetc

Post by lightsabersetc »

PowerDVD automatically recognizes the file as 3D and shows a 3D icon in the playback controls; clicking it will enable the 3D playback. If Cyberlink isn't recognizing the rip as 3D, make sure that '+sel:mvcvideo;' is in your conversion profile (or you are manually selecting the MVC video track) and re-rip if necessary.
picotrain

Post by picotrain »

Maybe you guys should start your own thread rather than hijack mine
ltm82

Post by ltm82 »

lightsabersetc wrote:PowerDVD automatically recognizes the file as 3D and shows a 3D icon in the playback controls; clicking it will enable the 3D playback. If Cyberlink isn't recognizing the rip as 3D, make sure that '+sel:mvcvideo;' is in your conversion profile (or you are manually selecting the MVC video track) and re-rip if necessary.
Sorry lightsabersetc but i don't understand if we are speaking about two differents MKV 3D. I speak about MKV 3D created with MAkeMKV.
Do you speak for example of MKV SBS or TAB?

All my test MKV ripped by MakeMKV 1.7.10 (The latest version) with the check button on the MVC extension select are not detected by PowerDVD 12 like 3D. I know that Powerdvd 12 if it detected MKV 3D it has a little 3D simbol inside the movie icon in the library on Powerdvd12. In my case i don't have the little icon because i suppose that Powerdvd12 not detect MKV 3d created with MakeMkv.When i click on 3D button Conversion in Powerdvd12 i get 3D but it's not equal to the original Blu ray 3D. In my case it is a false 3D created by PowerDVD 12.

There is any way to check if the mkv created is real 3D like the original BD?

ltm82
Last edited by ltm82 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ltm82

Post by ltm82 »

picotrain wrote:Maybe you guys should start your own thread rather than hijack mine
you are right but at the moment we have the same result. You can't play MKV 3D with your new Dune Base 3D and in my case i can't play MKV 3D with powerdvd12.

I have opened a ticket in Cyberlink to solve the issue. Did you do the same with HDI?

:)

ltm82
lightsabersetc

Post by lightsabersetc »

picotrain wrote:Maybe you guys should start your own thread rather than hijack mine
My response was relevant to both inquiries, but I will restate:

IF it is configured correctly, MakeMKV will produce an industry standard 3D .mkv file; compatible with both Dune (according to its product sheet) and PowerDVD (confirmed). The specific codec being used is called MVC and has been part of the h.264/BluRay 3D standard for years. If these players are not seeing the files as 3D, you are not ripping the 3D video track.

Futhermore, if the MVC track was ripped, mediainfo would show something similar to the below for the video track (note the 'MultiView_Count' readout):

Code: Select all

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1
MultiView_Count                          : 2
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=10
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                                 : 1h 36mn
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 40.6 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.816
Stream size                              : 27.5 GiB (90%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : No
Forced                                   : No
picotrain

Post by picotrain »

Thank you.

I will try different options of rip settings and see what happens before I give up with it.

I guess having the 3d dune will help as I will be able to test the output without guessing if they are right or will work.

Thanks again.
Pico
lightsabersetc

Post by lightsabersetc »

picotrain wrote:I will try different options of rip settings and see what happens before I give up with it.
A good way to start (especially for debugging) is to scan the disk, then find the main title. If you expand the video track, you'll notice a check box for the MVC video (I forget what it's actually called, it's been a while since I've used the official GUI). Make sure that box is checked and you will be good for that rip. To permanently select the option in all rips, add '+sel:mvcvideo;' to (and make sure '-sel:mvcvideo;' isn't in) your default selection profile ;)
ltm82

Post by ltm82 »

lightsabersetc wrote:
MultiView_Count : 2
[/code]
Hi lightsabersetc

Could you please tell me how did you get the multiview _Count field set to 2? When I set the 3d Extension option in Makemkv for all my mkv 3d the result is same. I don't get this field MultiView_Count set to 2 in mediainfo.

I also use Mediainfo to get the informations . I'm sure that all my rip are 3D because when i try to uncheck the mvc extension from makemkv i get a smaller mkv. is it possible that the gui of makemkv does not work correctly?
the only differencence is that you use the command line.

Could you give me the steps that you follow to get the 3d from Powerdvd12?.
In my case when i play the mkv 3d with powerdvd12 and i click on 3D button to force the 3D i get the movie in 3D but in my case the resolution is smaller than the 2d Mode. The same behavior is also confirmed by other users of powerdvd 12. In my opinion it seems a fake 3D generated by powerdvd12.

ltm82
mukiex

Post by mukiex »

I'm not entirely sure that PowerDVD is actually opening the 3D MVC layer. From my test, it seems that PowerDVD only offers to do on-the-fly conversion to 3D. I've never had the 3D button actually see the right eye video.

It's easy to tell, because when PowerDVD is converting.
See this button, to the left of the 3D one?

If PowerDVD is converting, clicking that button will give you options to control depth and whatnot.
If it's actually displaying 3D content, this section will be mostly grayed out.

If you're getting the latter on 3D MKV files, please inform us as to your settings, and PowerDVD DEFINITELY doesn't handle it by default.