Couple files wont play in media player

Everything related to MakeMKV
lancer1991

Couple files wont play in media player

Post by lancer1991 »

I haven't had any issue before with any files before, but How to Train a Dragon will not play in Media Player. Oddly it will play in VLC. I did find out from my kids that Puss and Boots won't play either. They are both by Dreamworks, is there some issue with them. I tried DVDfab also and got the same issue, so not sure what is going on.

I've tried mkvmerge with no header compression and also mkclean with no success. Any ideas.
setarip_old

Re: Couple files wont play in media player

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

1) Is the original source material a commercial DVD, a commercial Blu-ray disc, or something else?

2) What software and procedures did you use to create the movie files?
lancer1991

Post by lancer1991 »

Used bluray bought at Blockbuster off that it's what you mean by commercial.

Used Makemkv and also tried dvdfab. Both resulted in same issue, would only play on VLC and not media player.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

VLC includes its own decoders for popular media files, while Media Player relies upon whatever is installed. It is quite possible that your don't have the correct CODEC in place yet.

When playing in VLC, hit Ctrl-I to bring up the information window; The "Codec" tab will tell you what the file is encoded with.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

Both movies have Dolby TrueHD soundtracks....... Did you also keep the "core"? Does your media player support TrueHD? When you say "Media Player", do you mean Media Player Classic, Windows Media Player, or a standalone hardware media player?
lancer1991

Post by lancer1991 »

Windows media player, either through media center or standalone. Like I mentioned before, all my other mkv bluray rips play fine. I have Shark007 setup. I've tried for test before to change the audio stream to standard 5.1 DD, but still didn't play. The one odd thing is I can't get VLC to play anything put Stereo. I've messed with all settings and have no luck.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

If you bought them as "Previously Used" at Blockbuster (now in process of closing their B&M operations), there's always a (good) possibility that they're damaged or dirty.

Therefore, I'd ask you whether you've determined if the originals play properly?

lancer1991

Post by lancer1991 »

How do I play a bluray on my PC without paid software? When I found out windows wouldn't play them I found the makemkv method. I don't own a standalone player. If disc is bad why is the mkv playing in VLC. If I knew this whole process was this big of a pain I would have got a standalone. Didn't know they were closing Blockbuster all together. No closing signs at our location. Short of xmas time for door busters can't fathom paying the prices new are going for.

I guess I'll just play it through VLC as I'm not seeing any reasons why it won't play in windows and all searches lead to people having issues on all mkv, not just one.