Problem with all Blu rays.

Everything related to MakeMKV
johnvb

Problem with all Blu rays.

Post by johnvb »

Hey guys, new user here. I have recently downloaded the newest version of MakeMKV (and used the beta "key" to register), to rip my small DVD and Bluray collection to use with a media server on our RV camper. First downloaded and installed the Toshiba driver so that Blu rays would work with my XP pro OS. No problem.

Proceeded to ripped all the DVDs, no problem.

But when I try to rip any of my blu rays, everything is fine until part way into the rip (after decryption, menu check off, etc.). the elapse time still counts down, but the rip speed drops to 0x, basically stopping any more info transfer. Sometimes this happens sooner than later.

BTW, the drive is a brand new external LG CP40NG10, and the hard drive is a 4TB Seagate with a good 3.4 TB of free space.

Any suggestions to check?
ToxicDreamz

Re: Problem with all Blu rays.

Post by ToxicDreamz »

Would be helpful if you attached a log of the failed rips.
johnvb

Post by johnvb »

I can do that, give me a momento or two....

Here's the log after I cleared it, then tried to rip another Bluray. The read rate slowly ramped up to 4.9Xs, then dropped down to 0. That's when I manually ended the rip. Pretty much the same always, everything seems to be ripping normal, then bam, the drive slows down to nothing.:
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(6.08 KiB) Downloaded 406 times
Last edited by johnvb on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnvb

Post by johnvb »

BTW, different movies ended at slightly different read rates. At first I thought this must be some sort of "riplock"?

Here's another:
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(7.91 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

I don't know if this is what's happening to you, but it's a possibility.

When blu-rays use seamless branching, the speed of the rip will vary during the rip. It will start at a particular speed, then ramp up. When it hits a branch point, it will slow down considerably and (in some cases) drop to 0x. Be patient, and eventually it will pick up speed again and continue on. This behavior can happen several times depending on how many branches there are.

IF this is what's happening, then you just need to show a little patience, and not cancel the rip.

Of course, this may not be what's happening. If the rip stops completely and displays an error all on its own (i.e., without you stopping it first) then what I'm describing is not your problem. But if you're stopping it yourself, try letting it sit for a while and you may find that the rip will finish successfully.

Good luck,
Dave
johnvb

Post by johnvb »

Thanks, I'll give that a try again. Although I'm pretty sure at least one time I left it alone for quite a while.

Edit: Tried it again, after 20 minutes of rip, then all halted for 4 hours. :?:
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

johnvb wrote:Tried it again, after 20 minutes of rip, then all halted for 4 hours. :?:
The delays I was referring to are on the order of 10 seconds up to a couple minutes at most. Seems like this might be a hardware problem, given that you haven't been able to rip a single blu-ray. If you have access to another blu-ray drive (even if just to borrow) you could try it and see if you have any better results.

Dave
johnvb

Post by johnvb »

Thanks. I'll see what I can come up with.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Sounds like a problem with the Blu-ray laser in your reader/burner (Many such units have two lasers, one for DVDs and the other for Blu-rays).

You might want to try running a cleaning disc on the reader/burner. Maxell makes one that sells for about $10US...

johnvb

Post by johnvb »

Well, that would be cheaper than a new BD drive. :D The LG was bought just recently for this app, but that doesn't mean it's working properly. I've used it to rip maybe two dozen DVDs so far.

I didn't install any of the software that came with the drive, right off the bat it informed me that the PC couldn't handle BD playback. But from what I understand, that shouldn't effect ripping. Is this correct?

Also, what are some recommended (under $100) internal drives I should be looking at, in case I want to go there? Maybe I should be looking at something OEM, that doesn't need added software.
DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

johnvb wrote:Also, what are some recommended (under $100) internal drives I should be looking at, in case I want to go there? Maybe I should be looking at something OEM, that doesn't need added software.
You may be interested in the discussion on this thread. It starts out about the Pioneer 206, but talks about a couple other models as well. Read to the end.

Pioneer BDR-206DBK Optical Drive - Anyone else use it?

Dave
johnvb

Post by johnvb »

johnvb wrote:Well, that would be cheaper than a new BD drive. :D The LG was bought just recently for this app, but that doesn't mean it's working properly. I've used it to rip maybe two dozen DVDs so far.

I didn't install any of the software that came with the drive, right off the bat it informed me that the PC couldn't handle BD playback. But from what I understand, that shouldn't effect ripping. Is this correct?

Also, what are some recommended (under $100) internal drives I should be looking at, in case I want to go there? Maybe I should be looking at something OEM, that doesn't need added software.
Thanks... actually I ordered what looks to be that drive, plus an external enclosure, a few days ago, should be here by this weekend. From your report, it looks like it will do the job.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-In ... B007VPGL5U
http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-5-25-Inch- ... B0093HKFYW
johnvb

Post by johnvb »

Update: Installed the new drive and enclosure...same problem. :( So I installed the drive, Hard drive and MakeMKV on an older, slower PC in the house and Success! :D Don't know why, doesn't really matter, I'm good. Glad I got the new drive anyway, much nicer then the portable one I was using before. Thanks to all who replied.