Rip Speed never exceeds 2.0X - trial limitation?

Everything related to MakeMKV
sanderr2

Rip Speed never exceeds 2.0X - trial limitation?

Post by sanderr2 »

Hi, I've been using MakeMKV on and off for just over a month. I'm running Mountain Lion on an Intel Mac Pro with a new Pioneer BDR-208D. Now here's the strange thing, when I started using MakeMKV it took a good few hours to rip a BD and I assumed this was normal, then it suddently started to rip BDs really quickly - more like 20 minutes and I went through a whole pile in an afternoon. Now it's gone back to being "slow" and the read rate never climbs above exactly 2.0X.

I've googled a bit and there doesn't appear to be any riplock on the brand new Pioneer drive. Is it because I'm currently using the Beta version, my trial has expired (although it still rips BDs OK) and I haven't yet purchased a license or is there another explanation?

Thanks in anticipation,
Rob
sanderr2

Re: Rip Speed never exceeds 2.0X - trial limitation?

Post by sanderr2 »

PS I'm using MaxeMKV v1.8.0.
License type Freeware
Evaluation: Started
Evaluation expires : Tue Mar 12 2013 [0 day(s)]
This version expires: Sat Apr 20 2013 [38 day(s)]
twa000

Post by twa000 »

Trial = Paid for version :)
If you google I am sure you will find other topics covering this issue, but hopefully some kind expert will answer :)
You could try increasing the IO buffer size.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

DaveQ

Post by DaveQ »

This certainly has nothing to do with trial vs. paid. Others have noticed this as well, and it seems to happen most often with Pioneer drives that are capable of ripping much faster than 2.0X. IIRC, it's some kind of weird issue between MakeMKV and certain Pioneer drives. Windows users reported the same kind of behavior, but were sometimes able to get the rip speeds to improve by ripping something with a different tool (such as AnyDVD) once and then switching back to MakeMKV, which ripped subsequent discs full-speed.

I experimented a little bit with my Pioneer drive, and sometimes ripping a CD in iTunes first then switching to MakeMKV to rip a blu-ray would somewhat improve the situation, at least until the next reboot. Eventually I had a problem with the Pioneer drive and switched to an LG drive, which never seems to have the same rip speed issue.

Good luck,
Dave
NodNarb012

Post by NodNarb012 »

I heard about that a while back, but forgot to check my drive. Turns out my LG WH10LS30 had RipLock; I fixed that today and now MakeMKV is ripping about 3 times faster, which is much closer to the max read speed of my drive. For a couple years now I assumed my bottleneck was my destination storage drive. It seems as though I was wrong.

Thanks for the tip, Romansh!