Trying very hard to wrap my brain around MKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
mit3gt

Trying very hard to wrap my brain around MKV

Post by mit3gt »

I have searched this forum trying to glean answers to the questions I have. I am still not understanding some things. I first discovered MKV whike researching the WD Media player. I understand that MKV is a container like AVI, but it is also file format? I am trying to choose a format to use for steaming my movie collection over my server to my WD media player. I am wondering if I should use ISO, DIVX or MKV. I need help in choosing the format. I am leaning towards MKV. I am doing a test DVD (Retrun of the Jedi) because I want to see if it will do the Subs right. Problem is I dont really know what to do with all the files I get after I use makemkv. I get about 6 files. I thought MKV was a container? I have tried MKVmerge and what I get is 1 file. the movie plays fine and it is the proper size. The problem is the subs are playing by default. I have read on how to turn them off. I am just wondering, if I turn them off will I still get the subs when the aliens speak (You know like "your my kind of scum")? Also Can someone explain the whole metadata stuff? I want the picture to show in my media player when I choose the file. Thanks! I'm a NOOB at all this!
fhqwhgads

Re: Trying very hard to wrap my brain around MKV

Post by fhqwhgads »

Hi,

I use MakeMKV to rip DVDs for playback on my WD TV player, too. I'll try to address your questions. MKV is indeed a container. When you rip a DVD the video inside is MPEG-2.

First, when you get multiple files as output, it's due to your settings during the rip. After the disc is scanned, you can uncheck anything you don't need. The main movie is usually the first title, and also usually the longest run time. The other stuff is DVD extras, BTS, etc. These should be unchecked if you don't want them.

Where are the subs playing by default? Is this on the WD TV or in a software player? Either way, just turn them off. Generally, the "alien" language subs are "burned" into the picture, these are not separate subs.

For the metadata stuff, this is WD TV specific, you should ask on their forum. The unit needs to see a JPG file the same name as the video file in the same folder.