Problems when converting mkv output

Everything related to MakeMKV
tsp1965

Problems when converting mkv output

Post by tsp1965 »

Hi

I've been having a problem converting the file I get from MakeMKV. I bought a Blu-ray of a film but need to make a DVD from it for my kids to view in the car on a portable DVD player (I would happily have bought the dual format pack if it was available in the UK, but it is not). I converted my mkv ok, and it plays fine on my PC. However, when I convert it I get jerkiness on my mpeg - using Xilisoft Ultimate Video Converter. I think my problem might be field dominance? Are there any general rules for converting a hd mkv file to DVD PAL compliant? I don't know much about mkv files, so please forgive my ignorance about how they work compared with mpegs.

I am using a preset I often use to convert DVB sized tv broadcasts to DVD compliant:
720x576
16:9
mpeg2video codec
Bitrate 3000
Framerate 25
MPEG Audio 128kbps
48kHz

Any pointers gratefully received.
Barny

Re: Problems when converting mkv output

Post by Barny »

There are a couple of ways to convert MKV files to PAL movies. I use two different programs that are free, one is Freemake Video Converter, the other one, which for me is the better program is multiAVCHD. You can make perfect movies from the MKV files that you already play on your computer. There are tutorials on how to use multiavchd and I have converted quite a few films myself. Select the size in bitrate and SD/DVD for output. My DVD's are around 2GB and the quality is perfect with just one pass.