Memory Issue

Everything related to MakeMKV
jarcy

Memory Issue

Post by jarcy »

I seem to have a memory problem in MakeMKV...

I'm using most available version, as soon as I start it maxes out my ram in about 1-2 minutes, my CPU usuage is almost nil and my PC slows to a crawl and becomes essentially unresponsive to any command. I suspect the memory usage is spilling to pagefile once the RAM is maxed out. I am reading from a hard drive which has a bluray backup and writing to a different directory on the same hard drive.

My operating system is Vista x 64 with 4 GB of DDR3 RAM.

Have also read on Doom forum of a similar issue, but seen no solution. Setting the max buffer size to 512 Mb has had no effect.

Suggestions please ?
mike admin

Re: Memory Issue

Post by mike admin »

that's strange. can you please verify with task manager the process that ate all ram? does it happen for a single disc or did you try multiple discs?
jarcy

Post by jarcy »

I'd cut and paste the task manager window, but as said the computer literally freezes and cannot do a thing so unable to show you.

the task does ultimately complete, but I will leave it overnight as essentiallyt he computer is useless while the task is running.

happens on any file I try to read. but if u mean read from one physical hard drive and write to a different physical hard drive, no have not tried that.

went out and bought another 4GB of RAM today, going to see what happens.
jarcy

Post by jarcy »

Ok, nice to have 8GB memory now, but same problem. Tried to capture some screenshots before response died which usually happens post 98% mem usage.

Small point, when program is initially opened, read rate is like 12 to 13 kb/s, but gradually slows as memory leaks to as little as 0.1 kbs or below when it chokes.... read buffer set at 1024MB, makes no difference.

Any suggestions ?
Last edited by jarcy on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jarcy

Post by jarcy »

does makeMKV make use of TsMuxer or other subprogram ?

I do not think that this issue is unique to makeMKV, Just noticed I get it also using RipBot264, and MKV2VOB.... trying to get to the root of the cause.
tkpittman

Post by tkpittman »

I think Mikeadmin was wanting you to post the processes to see what exactly is using the ram. You show the performance tab that just shows the total ram and cpu being used. Click on the tab that says processes and it will show each process currently running and how much memory it is using.
It may be some unrelated process that is hogging all of your RAM.