Feature request regarding file names

Everything related to MakeMKV
SifJar

Feature request regarding file names

Post by SifJar »

I've been using MakeMKV recently, and it's pretty good (better for my purposes than any other DVD ripper I've managed to find), but the one thing I'd like to see implemented is a system for naming files better. I mostly rip TV shows, and it's annoying to get names like "title00.mkv". I like to use XBMC as my media player, and it needs the files named in a specific way for it to be able to get info from the internet.

Basically what I'd really like is if you could enter a name for the whole disc (e.g. "Scrubs", using a show I recently ripped as an example), the season you're ripping (e.g. "7"), and the number of the first episode from the disc (e.g. 1 for first disc, maybe 8 for second disc etc.) and then have file names auto-generated from that e.g. "Scrubs.s07e01.mkv" etc.

This is something I haven't found in any similar software, and I'm sure others would also find it useful. It should also facilitate the use of many auto-renaming programs for people who prefer a different naming format.
mike admin

Re: Feature request regarding file names

Post by mike admin »

Well, right now if you enable expert mode and enter "Scrubs.s07" for the disc, then MakeMKV will assign tiltle names Scrubs.s07_t01.mkv Scrubs.s07_t02.mkv etc. Otherwise you'll have to change the name/filename of each item (that will be pre-populated with "Scrubs.s07_txx"). You can use up and down keys right in edit box to select prev/next title, so you can change all meta information without using the mouse, and this is usually very fast.
SifJar

Post by SifJar »

Well I suppose that's not terrible. Still, if you would consider adding what I suggested above, that would be awesome. Obviously there'd have to be some button or check box to mark it as a TV DVD/BR rather than a movie.
HugeHoss

Post by HugeHoss »

Almost posted about this, but luckily did a search first.

I have the same issue, but love the program otherwise.

More naming options would be nice, but I accept this solution "Good Enough" for me... I was just tired of it trying to rewrite "title00.mkv" just because I am putting my output all to one directory.

Specifically, an option to always drop track number if one title is ripped would be cool.
bw001

Post by bw001 »

With TV episodes usually not in order of the ripped MKV's, wouldn't you need to rename them anyway after ripping and matching the ripped MKV to the correct episode?
GFOviedo

Post by GFOviedo »

bw001 wrote:With TV episodes usually not in order of the ripped MKV's, wouldn't you need to rename them anyway after ripping and matching the ripped MKV to the correct episode?
That's correct. If MakeMKV doesn't rip the episodes in the correct order, then you will have to do some extra work and find out, which files go in what order. The naming is a PIA specially for TV show that have many episodes (House for example), but it isn't that bad to make sure all the ripped episodes are in the correct order and rename them accordingly.

Now, for movies. This would work much better.
captain

Post by captain »

I posted a link to an API that would work great, but my post vanished, and I lost the URL. But there is one out there that would auto-name TV rips.
jlc61

Post by jlc61 »

Is it possible to append teh track information - for example the XXXXX part of XXXXX.mts. That would allow easier identification of the output files.