Newbie - Facing Unsorted parts after ripping

Everything related to MakeMKV
garbage

Newbie - Facing Unsorted parts after ripping

Post by garbage »

Hi guys,

I'm new so please forgive me my silly question.

First of all MakeMKV is working like a charme, in principle. Unfortunately I have to discover that two of my three tested Blu-Rays rip to several .mkvs including parts of the movie as well as the extras. There is no particular ordering and over all I'm confronted with 30 or more files in a random order. The file size is not sufficient enough do determine between the parts of the movie and the extras...

I'm planning to rip my entire collection of 700 discs and therefore I'm hoping there is some smart advice to deal with such messed disks.

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Newbie - Facing Unsorted parts after ripping

Post by Woodstock »

What you describe sounds like you're ripping Disney titles, where they will put dozens of "fake" tracks on the disk, made up of parts of the movie, out of order. Disney isn't the only one to do it, but they do it a lot.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
austingrd

Post by austingrd »

Thanks for confirming this. That explains a lot but I still don't get why disney is doing this.
Mistakes are learning tools. Image
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

They do it for the same reason DVDs and BDs are encrypted, with ever-increasing complexity - to inconvenience the casual user, and to make it seem like they're fighting piracy.

If you intend to steal their property, the extra few hours it takes to figure out which title is "right" is nothing.

But it is a pain for those of us who simply don't want to keep pulling the bloody plastic disc out of the box every time we want to watch something (and HOPE it didn't get irretrievably scratched the last time it was out). I bought a series of movies this week, and I was afraid I was going to break the BDs getting them out of the stupid holders before I could rip them... That DID happen on Last Starfighter, but it wasn't so broken that I couldn't rip it.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Last Starfighter BD?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, The Last Starfighter was issued on BD (actually a DVD/BD combo pack) for the 25th anniversary.

Mine has part of the hub hole broken out, from trying to get it loose from the holder.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Yeah, I don't know how the managed to patent this crap.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
bw001

Post by bw001 »

Woodstock wrote:What you describe sounds like you're ripping Disney titles, where they will put dozens of "fake" tracks on the disk, made up of parts of the movie, out of order. Disney isn't the only one to do it, but they do it a lot.
I've never seen any Disney titles with "fake" tracks or Screen Pass protection that Summit/Lionsgate uses on some of their titles.

Disney will have multiple tracks on many of their discs that are there because of foreign languages, e.g. a title or sign in Spanish.

Also, I've never seen MakeMKV rip part of a movie from a disc. There may be multiple m2ts segments that make up the movie, but MakeMKV always finds and combines them into one MKV to rip.