MakeMKV combines episodes into one file

Everything related to MakeMKV
SidebandSamurai

MakeMKV combines episodes into one file

Post by SidebandSamurai »

I have MakeMKV 1.8.4

I have been encoding A&E's The Avengers (Not the superhero cartoon). I happen to get "The Complete Emma Peel Mega-set". I am encoding the DVDs for my media server and I ran across a problem

On 1967 DVD 4 there are 3 episodes "Never, Never say Die", "Epic" and "The Superlative Seven"

When MakeMKV encodes the streams, the Episodes "Epic" and "The Superlative Seven" end up getting encoded into 1 mkv file. Up to this point the encoding process has been going uneventful. Though I guess I should check the other volumes to make sure everything has encoded as expected.

Thanks for your help

Sideband Samurai
SidebandSamurai

Re: MakeMKV combines episodes into one file

It happened again on 1967, DVD 6

-- Sideband Samurai
twa000

Post by twa000 »

So after Makemkv has decrypted and processed all the titles on the disc, what do you see in the panel?
A line for each episode?, only one title? or a list of titles greater than the total of episodes (an image of the display output would help!)

... and how many do you tick?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Depending upon how the disk is mastered, all episodes can be a single file with menu entries that jump to chapters within that file to play "episodes", or they can be separate files. This can and does change within disks of a series set. And sometimes, a disk will have fake directory entries that make it appear that it has "one big file" as well as "one file per episode", even though the reality is

There are tools to break MKV files up at chapter boundaries, but MakeMKV itself doesn't do it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SidebandSamurai

twa000 wrote:So after Makemkv has decrypted and processed all the titles on the disc, what do you see in the panel?
A line for each episode?, only one title? or a list of titles greater than the total of episodes (an image of the display output would help!)

... and how many do you tick?
It only happened on two disks. in each case, instead of seeing 3 files, I would only see 2. one file would be 2.2G and the other would be 4.4G. When I opened the 4.4G, it would have both episodes in that one file.

Sideband Samurai
SidebandSamurai

Woodstock wrote:Depending upon how the disk is mastered, all episodes can be a single file with menu entries that jump to chapters within that file to play "episodes", or they can be separate files. This can and does change within disks of a series set. And sometimes, a disk will have fake directory entries that make it appear that it has "one big file" as well as "one file per episode", even though the reality is

There are tools to break MKV files up at chapter boundaries, but MakeMKV itself doesn't do it.
Well most of the episodes were single files. Only these two disks appeared to have two episodes in one file.

I thought that was odd.

-- Sideband Samurai
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I thought that was odd.
Wait until you find a disk with a stereo sound track, but 5.1 Dolby audio commentary for ONE episode out of 5... and MakeMKV defaults to selecting the 5.1 audio over the 2.0... :roll:
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
seriochka

Post by seriochka »

Late to this topic....but since you mention the Avengers - Emma Peel Megaset, I was hoping you could share which episodes on each disc correspond to which episodes for the six actual seasons of the series? TheTVDB has a great listing of episodes, dates and titles... but short of doing each file manually (even with filebot as a resource), I don't know of an easy way to finish this process.

Thanks!
Steve