Question about subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
Charlie97l

Question about subtitles

Post by Charlie97l »

So. I just ripped my entire bluray collection, and something went wrong somewhere.

For most movies, it won't be an issue, but I noticed on Iron Man that while I can turn the English subs on and off, as I wanted, the translation subs are missing, for when other characters are speaking another language. I've done some research, and see that these are sometimes forced subs.

My question is, can I go back in and rip just the subtitle tracks again, and then add those into my existing mkv? Or do I have to rip the whole thing again?

Thank you! Love this program!
bw001

Re: Question about subtitles

Post by bw001 »

Easiest is to re-rip the disc. MakeMKV should default to ripping the forced subtitles.

Iron Man has a separate track for forced subtitles, so you could end up with 2 tracks that have the same forced subtitles, if you have English subtitles checked along with English (forced only) sub check box.

Iron Man forced subtitles commence at 00:28:11, btw.

I rip a disc and have all English subtitle boxes checked, including (forced only).
I can then see when the MakeMKV rip is complete if there were or weren't any forced (flagged as forced on the disc) subtitle tracks since MakeMKV will note that.
I then use MediaInfo to check how many subtitle tracks are in the rip.
I then use MKVCleaver to extract all of the subtitle tracks.
I then use bdsup2sub to view the subtitles and determine which are English, English SDH, Commentary, and/or forced.

I can then re-rip from disc with exactly what I want and set the forced flags, if necessary and make note for future reference which tracks are which.

It's a long and complicated process, but it's the only one I've been able to come up with that ensures I have the forced subtitles and they're flagged as forced, so that they're displayed correctly the first time I watch a movie.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Mine is a bit less complicated:
  • rip BD with all English and German subs (including forced)
  • play back MKV cycling through subs. If there's a stream where people are talking and nothing is displayed, it's most likely the forced sub
  • set flag accordingly with MKVToolnix's header editor (if not already done by MakeMKV)
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
doncht

Post by doncht »

set flag accordingly with MKVToolnix's header editor (if not already done by MakeMKV)
I think that's the missing piece here since I always skip that.
Charlie97l

Post by Charlie97l »

Thanks! That worked very well!

Any tips for DVDs with forced subs as well?

I'm ripping all the english subs, but sometimes they're not working, though there's not a "forced" section.

District 9 I noticed didn't work properly.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

DVDs usually have two tracks per language, "full" and "forced". Not all do - a few vendors decide you either want subtitles or your don't, and only provide the "full" track.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging