Output file much smaller than source file

Everything related to MakeMKV
vibee

Output file much smaller than source file

Post by vibee »

Hi,

I use makemkv 1.84 for linux.

Recently I rippeed a blu-ray to MKV, where the source file of the main title which I was ripping was 33,5GB.

I ripped it to mkv and the output mkv file had only 22.0GB. It seems to be complete (2:05:00 length like source), it has chapter information included and plays as smooth and nice as the source.

So I wonder why the corresponding file in the STREAMS folder is so much bigger than the ripped file? Any ideas?
crowfax

Re: Output file much smaller than source file

Post by crowfax »

did you rip all the language streams?
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
vibee

Post by vibee »

There is only one language stream as the blu-ray is a live convert capture. By the way, the blu-ray is VC-1 encoded (maybe this plays a role).

Anyway, I did not deselect anything. I selected the main stream and clicked on the button for saving as .mkv.

EDIT: I just realized that there are several audio streams, but makemkv only selects some of the audio streams (see screenshot). Do the other streams really take more than 10GB?

Screenshot: http://vibee.de/makemkv.png

And: Is this a good choice by makemkv for saving the streams with highest quality or should I customize the selection?

Thank you.
bw001

Post by bw001 »

You've selected only the DD or DTS core, for the highest quality audio, you should select DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD. And yes, not selecting all (or the highest quality uncompressed) audio, can result in much smaller files.
doncht

Post by doncht »

Thanks a lot. Is it also safe to say that when the file size is smaller, then the quality is also less?
bw001

Post by bw001 »

doncht wrote:Thanks a lot. Is it also safe to say that when the file size is smaller, then the quality is also less?
When it comes to audio, LPCM is uncompressed and takes up the most space, DTS-HD Master Audio (MA) or Dolby TrueHD are both loss less compression and take up less space because of compression but should be just as good quality wise, since it's loss less.

DTS and Dolby Digital are lossy compression and the quality is reduced. There are people though that say you can't tell the difference.

You can also convert to FLAC which is also loss less compression, which will reduce the size and maintain the quality.