Understanding Minimum Title Length

Everything related to MakeMKV
justwn1

Understanding Minimum Title Length

Post by justwn1 »

Hello, I am seeing quite a few titles that are being skipped. I am new to MakeMKV and am wondering if in the preferences I need to set the Minimum Title length to less than 6 seconds for this specific movie. Will I be missing video for the titles that were skipped in the final output if I dont change the settings?

Thank you in advance for all your help with this.

File 00990.mpls was added as title #93
File 00991.mpls was added as title #94
Title #00004.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00005.m2ts has length of 6 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00006.m2ts has length of 6 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00011.m2ts has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00019.m2ts has length of 21 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00020.m2ts has length of 22 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00021.m2ts was added as title #95
Title #00023.m2ts has length of 21 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00029.m2ts was added as title #96
Title #00079.m2ts has length of 12 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00081.m2ts has length of 15 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00100.m2ts was added as title #97
Title #00101.m2ts has length of 114 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00103.m2ts was added as title #98
Title #00114.m2ts has length of 57 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00115.m2ts has length of 50 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00272.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00273.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00274.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00275.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
mike admin

Re: Understanding Minimum Title Length

Post by mike admin »

I don't understand the question, sorry. The titles less that 120 seconds are skipped - yes, you need to set minimum length to '2' to see them. But why?
justwn1

Post by justwn1 »

Sorry if I wasnt clear from my first post.

Say for Titles 00004, 00005, and 00006. It is telling me that the minimum title length is 10, 6, and 6. If I leave the default of Minimum title length of 120 seconds it says it skips those titles.

So I am assuming that if the titles are skipped, those parts of the movie will not appear since they were skipped? Is that a fair statement?

So my next question. In order to get the full movie I should set my minimum title length to less than 6 seconds to ensure no titles are skipped?

Does that make more sense now?

Thanks again and sorry for being new to this and trying to understand how this all works.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Those aren't "parts of the movie", they're tracks on the disk, which could be promo videos, deleted scenes, menu displays, or pretty much anything. If you want to see them, you set the minimum title length to zero, and MakeMKV will rip them all... and you can view them with VLC or whatever you use.

I generally use 30 seconds, because I want to at least look at the contents before ignoring them. But anything under 30 is probably not worth watching. On the disks I rip, there will be 90 second "opening/closing" videos, 30-45 second "copyright warning" videos, 45-300 second "promo" videos, and a variety of length interview and "making of" videos. None have anything to do with what I was trying to rip.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
justwn1

Post by justwn1 »

Thank you very much. Is there a way to preview those tracks prior to converting them to tell what they are? Or is there some "accepted" method of the forum to preview these titles? Again thank you for all the help.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The beauty of something like MakeMKV is that you, not someone else, gets to decide what the "accepted" methods are. Minimum title length is just one of the potential tools you can play with. ;)

For your first few rips, setting a low minimum time and letting MakeMKV rip "everything" is how you will gain confidence in what is "normal" for your usage. DVD/BD authors are notoriously diverse in how they master disks. And every movie disk and TV series set is potentially different in how the "extras" are presented. Heck, sometimes the extras change between seasons (or partial season) on TV series sets. Will it have deleted scenes? Maybe. Will it have all deleted scenes separated by episode, or one big "extra" with all of them for the season?

You can usually go through all the resulting files pretty quickly with something like VLC, and determine what you want to keep/dispose of. It's not like you are permanently dedicating hard drive storage to something, just because you ripped it! Since you have the original media, of you later decide, "Yes, I would like to have that on the media server", you just pull the disk out and rip it again.

For my usage, I rarely hang onto the "text free opening/closing" files, but I rip them anyway. Sometimes, they have good imagery for use with any MP3 files I also rip to go with the series (some MP3 players will display artwork while playing). Or they'll include a "music video" or montage, and I can take the music track out of it for the MP3 player.

But, that doesn't describe YOU, does it? So what I do isn't necessarily an "accepted" method for anyone but me.

So, time to do what I tell all my students.... PLAY!
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging