Incompatability with WDTV/LIve

Everything related to MakeMKV
mangry

Incompatability with WDTV/LIve

Post by mangry »

Just FYI:

I tried converting a dvd and whilst the mkvs play, you can't fast forward or backwards in them - it keeps resetting to start.

Other people said makemkv generates faulty mkvs and suggesting running the file through mkvmerge, nothing added, nothing removed, just get it to rewrite it.

And then the mkv's work.
booknut

Re: Incompatability with WDTV/LIve

Post by booknut »

I use MakeMKV for ripping all my television episodes. They play fine on my WDTV. I can fast forward and rewind fine (though rewind fails to show on screen the timecode does count backward). Skipping ahead and backward to different channels doesn't work, but I think this is a WDTV issue. The chapters are present (you can pull up the on-screen menu for WDTV and select which chapter you want to go to).
Andie

Post by Andie »

I have also been using MakeMKV strictly with my WDTV Live and it has worked flawlessly. I can fast forward and rewind and chapter selection works great (Press Options>Chapters on remote) and I can press the skip forward button and it goes to the next file, though I wish it were the chapter instead but that's a WDTV issue.
opzouten

Post by opzouten »

Could you please tell me which version of both makemkv and wd tv live (firmware) that you've used?

I have recently tried the same procedure, but with the same result as mangry has reported (reset to start).
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

I too have the problem of MakeMKV-files (1.4.11 beta) not working with my WDTV (Firmware WDLXTV 0.5.8.1 (modified 1.03.01)).
Chapters won't work, FF would result in the playback starting from the beginning again, fast-skipping (FF and pressing "next" usually skips 10 minutes ahead) won't work either, changing audio-track or subtitles results in playback stopping all together.

Then I made the MKV manually (video, two audio tracks, subtitles, chapters), and everything worked without a problem.

As the next step, I loaded the MKV made by MakeMKV into the mkvmerge GUI of mkvtoolnix 3.0.0, and remuxed it without changing anything. The file would play, FF, chapters and subtitle-change worked, but the audiotrack-change would result in a "crash", too.

So I assume the problem lies with how MakeMKV is muxing everything into a MKV.

EDIT:
I did the remuxing of the MakeMKV-file again, but this time I unchecked the two entries which are apparently some sort of tags:
Screenshot
And everything worked like with the selfmade MKV.
Apparently the WDTV doesn't like these features or so, and I don't know if they are vital for playback or what they are good for at all, but the removal of these should fix the problems with the WDTV. So maybe it would be good, if there was an option to leave these out of the final MKV made by MadeMKV.