Works Great but how do I shrink the MKVs like in ripbot?

Everything related to MakeMKV
crashman

Works Great but how do I shrink the MKVs like in ripbot?

Post by crashman »

Works Great but how do I shrink the MKVs like in ripbot. This program need to have a size option for people who are streaming. I have 350 vids and ripbot is screwing up lately so while your program is great for copying what about shrinking to say 8gigs?
Spook

Re: Works Great but how do I shrink the MKVs like in ripbot?

Post by Spook »

I'm glad to have this program that doesn't do anything to the video/audio stream. That way I can make the decision how I want to compress the image. So, I am happy this program leaves all that alone. That being said, for my transcoding, I use something called Xvid4psp. Sounds a bit specialized, but the creator of this app made it very versatile to do just about conversion you need, and the HQ transcodes I do, shed from %33 to %50 of their size, but still look spectacular. Oh, and its free.

Spook
Andie

Post by Andie »

Spook wrote:I'm glad to have this program that doesn't do anything to the video/audio stream.
I am also glad the video and audio stay exactly the same as if it were a DVD/BluRay. I don't compress my files after wards but handbrake and format factory are good options to consider. Also free BTW.
SamLowry

Post by SamLowry »

I too like how makedvd works. But I would love a compression option - x264. Especially for BD. By default, no compression.
tkmops

Post by tkmops »

Spook, I too have used XviD4PSP in the past, but only for converting MKV to AVI, I wasn't aware it could convert Blue ray to MKV...I take it one would use the 'Convert blue ray to FAT32 under tools? I've done some DVD ripping, but have no
experience with ripping blue ray. What should I use to rip out the blue ray files? I have used the following in the past:Auto GK, MKV2VOB, MKVMerge, DVD Decrypter, River Past, Virtual Dub Mod, DVD shrink, IfoEdit, Ripit4Me...will I need other programes to rip out blue ray files? And then I assume that those files would be opened in XviD4PSP, and converted?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@crashman

Hi!

You an use either "multiAVCHD" (Load the .MKV directly into "multiAVCHD")

or "BluRay Rebuilder"/"BD-RB" (First load the .MKV into "tsMuxeR" and convert back to original BluRay "package" format).

After using either of the above methods, you can once again use "MakeMKV" to re-convert your now-compressed BluRay "package" back to an .MKV

All of the mentioned programs are presently freeware.
Spook

Post by Spook »

tkmops wrote:Spook, I too have used XviD4PSP in the past, but only for converting MKV to AVI, I wasn't aware it could convert Blue ray to MKV...I take it one would use the 'Convert blue ray to FAT32 under tools? I've done some DVD ripping, but have no
experience with ripping blue ray. What should I use to rip out the blue ray files? I have used the following in the past:Auto GK, MKV2VOB, MKVMerge, DVD Decrypter, River Past, Virtual Dub Mod, DVD shrink, IfoEdit, Ripit4Me...will I need other programes to rip out blue ray files? And then I assume that those files would be opened in XviD4PSP, and converted?

No no no, I don't think you understand. I use MakeMKV to get my raw bluray mkv file, and then transcode to whatever format I want with Xvid4PSP.

MakeMKV is a nice all in one tool that will rip straight from Bluray to mkv. Instead of the rip to disc(via AnyDVD), TSMuxer to demux the video, and audio tracks, and MakeMKV to put them back into a MKV file... MakeMKV saves some time, and steps to get to a usable MKV file, albeit very large MKV file. From their I can modify the file as I see fit, and I just happen to use Xvid4PSP to do my transcoding/compressing.

Spook.
gelyon

Post by gelyon »

crashman,

Open the MKV in RipBot264 and go from there. Set "Lock Size" to 7680 MB or so.