MakeMKV Price

Everything related to MakeMKV
mrdrummond

MakeMKV Price

Post by mrdrummond »

Is makemkv likely to have improved pricing at some point? I really like it and went looking to buy it to support the authors. The price is way too high :( I was bit surprised that the price is >$70 for this tool.

Nevertheless this a very good tool well done.
crowfax

Re: MakeMKV Price

Post by crowfax »

It's the cost of 4 movies & cheaper than the competition.

As it's in beta right now, I'd expect the price to go up when it's final.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
mrdrummond

Post by mrdrummond »

But im not pirating movies im shifting formats. So that logic doesn't apply.
twa000

Post by twa000 »

mrdrummond wrote:But im not pirating movies im shifting formats. So that logic doesn't apply.
1) I have lost count of the number of times this has been posted, but Mike obviously decided on a price and hasn't changed it over the years.
2) Mike has since inception in 2008(I believe) never forced anyone to buy the product and it is still available as a ? - free :D .
3) It is actually 50 US dollars, and if you feel really stingy there are ways of obtaining the US price.

I have used this product since at least 2009- it does everything I want, has continued to be upgraded and the support is excellent+, I cannot think of only about 2 other products that I have bought over the years that come close, their support is nowhere as good, and they have a "new" upgrade release every year.
So feeling guilty, I bought the one off product license, which has worked out at about between 10 and 14 US dollars (depending on the price you pay :) )

Yes, there are a few (even free) alternatives, but Makemkv is absolutely painless to use, it just does what it says on the :) can.
mrdrummond

Post by mrdrummond »

I know I can use it for free. But i was looking to support the author but was surprised that it was so expensive.

Interesting point. Why is it so much more expensive if your buying Australian $ ? $50 is closer to what I thought a reasonable price would be.
Devore

Post by Devore »

The price is what the price is, but I am shown $70.10 (CDN), so I believe it is 50 Euros, not USD. That's $70.26 at today's exchange rate. Nowhere on the web site or MakeMKV itself is the actual price indicated that I can see. Do Canadians just pay more? We're used to it, FWIW.
blind mellow jelly

Post by blind mellow jelly »

True...here in Holland I've had to pay 60,50 euro's for it,50 U.S dollars is translated to 50 euro's,for some reason.
Also..10,50 euro's v.a.t..something I never had to pay for any software bought on line.
So..there's indeed something weird going on here.
Would like to hear some explanation about all that.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Mike sets the price with avangate at $50, any variation in prison email you see is to do with them. You should direct your questions to them.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
blind mellow jelly

I already asked those questions to them,but so far no reply.
If Mike sets the price at 50 usd and it gets sold for a lot more to foreighners through them,
and Mike is aware of it..it should be mentioned on the site somewhere..which it is not.

Maybe it's a good idea to get rid of (them) and sell directly for the same price to all.
Telling peeps just to go with questions to them is the easy way out.
Also bad for business,cause peeps will think twice before forking out a price to high for the tool.
blind mellow jelly

Them..confirmed the price difference is their profit..period.
Not a word about v.a.t also charged..20% of the total price.
In my opinion the whole thing..stinks.

C'mon guys..this thing is important for the ones willing to pay.
Spit it out..that's what a board like this is meant for.

O.P..nothing to say about it?
Anyone?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It's been rehashed over and over and over and over again. It's not going to change. So either buy it or don't but creating topics about the price isn't going to get it changed. Search and you'll see this same thing brought up time and again. Yet, it hasn't changed and isn't likely to.
blind mellow jelly

Well..I'm pretty new here..so I did'nt knew about that.
But if this is the situation for a long time already,it is telling the story very well.

It stinks...
And not just a little.
But a lot!
blind mellow jelly

Ohh..I did'nt create the topic..just responding on it.
Because I think the O.P was right.
blind mellow jelly

So many hits..with nearly no further comments,because it's all done before..right?
But the interest in it did'nt disappear..that much is perfectly clear.
Actually..for a newcomer like me it certainly seems they (them) succeeded
to silence you all,and make you swallow the way it is.

But remember..there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

This will be my last post on this topic. You keep harping on this as though you're going to start some rebellion. Look, it comes down to two things:

1) The developer set the price. And he isn't changing it.
2) If you can accept the price and buy it, or not.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. When it leaves beta, the price will probably go up. You aren't going to convince Mike to change the price. This is clear. So either you accept it or not. It's really as simple as that.