Feature Request: DVD-A and Blu-ray Audio support?

Everything related to MakeMKV
marcusj0015

Feature Request: DVD-A and Blu-ray Audio support?

Post by marcusj0015 »

Can you include support for Audio only Blu-ray and DVD? Basically, an Audio-only DVD (aka DVD-A) is a DVD that includes no/little video, with most of the disc being used to store audio, in the PCM or MLP codec (very similar to TrueHD, FFmpeg supports it) and instead of the title being stored in the VIDEO_TS folder, it's stored in the AUDIO_TS folder, and instead of using the .VOB extension, it uses the .AOB extension.

Blu-ray audio (also known as High Fidelity Pure Audio) uses the same codecs, file layout, file extension, everything basically of Blu-ray video, so that ought to be far simpler to implement.
mike admin

Re: Feature Request: DVD-A and Blu-ray Audio support?

Post by mike admin »

Are there actual released discs (especially for blu-ray audio)? I ask as I'm personally never seen either one.
GLN2GLN2

Post by GLN2GLN2 »

Here is a site page which is selling one company's Audio-only blu-rays:

http://www.musicdirect.com/c-805-blu-ra ... -disc.aspx

There are also a few other smaller companies that manufacture BR Audio only discs, if I recall correctly.
marcusj0015

Post by marcusj0015 »

Universal Music is also releasing Blu-ray audio discs under their "High Fidelity Pure Audio" brand.

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/rest ... /pureaudio
marcusj0015

Post by marcusj0015 »

So, are you going to implement this feature?

all you'd have to do is extract the chapters from the disc, and use the ffmpeg command -ss to seek to the start of the track (from the chapter time), and -to to the start of the next chapter time, and save everything between those two. however the last chapter in the blu-ray audio chapter thingy is the START of the last song, NOT the end of the last song, so for that one you have to seek to the beginning of the track, and REMOVE the -to option so it'll seek to the end of the file.

Blu-ray audio tends to use both PCM and DTS-HD MA audio codecs, as far as I've seen they're the EXACT same audi, same bit depth, sample rate, channel count, etc, but you should still check to make sure.
remko

Post by remko »

Hi,

I'd like to bump this thread again.

I have recently come across of a couple of Audio DVDs that come with an AUDIO_TS folder that contain audio that isn't picked up by MakeMKV (i'm assuming it only looks in the VIDEO_TS folder). The most mainstream one is 'The Beatles - Love', which has a VIDEO_TS with AC3 and DTS versions of the album, and AUDIO_TS with a high-bitrate lossless MLP version. I can see the title with the AC3 and DTS stream, but not the one with the MLP stream.

I always have to resort to another tool to be able to get the audio of my audio DVDs (I use DVD Audio Extractor), but I would prefer to be able to use MakeMKV for this. Are there any plans for supporting AUDIO_TS files?

thanks!
Remko

PS: For BluRay, I only have one audio disc, but this one is working fine with MakeMKV.
Ripman

Post by Ripman »

The audio_ts folder has mlp audio. Use dvd-a explorer 2008 for that side by extracting as wav. Usually the mlp audio is the higher quality.

You can use makemkv for the video_ts folder / side. That will work fine. Mux out the video track when your done ripping. This will yield an mka file.

If the dvd-a is decent quality, you will be able to merge the wav side and the makemkv side into one mka. The track markers / chapters will be very close so you won't have to use different chapter editions. The new Mmg can add chapters for each added segment (viz. audio track). The side that yields the closest chapter timings should be used.

- makemkv the video_ts folder
- Mmg to remove the video track
- Dvd-a explorer 2008 for the audio_ts folder as wav
- Convert to flac (optional)
- Create audio_ts mka
- Append wav/flac files in Mmg - use create chapters option so each track gets a chapter
- Compare chapter transitions for both mka files - choose / adjust one that is closest
- Merge both mka files into into one
- You now have full copy of dvd-a -- both sides

Some dvd-a only have the video_ts side so use makemkv for that. The two sides of the EMI dvd-a's align nicely btw.

I suggested removing the video tracks for two reasons: 1. Size; 2. If encoded, the typical screen saver like video can end up with weird auto cropping -- it's just more work and it doesn't enhance audio at all.

A cool trick with your mka could be adding artist / track names or even song texts or fact track type info via srt or ass subtitles.