No new BETA key?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Assmonkey

No new BETA key?

Post by Assmonkey »

The BETA key has expired and the thread in announcements still has the old key for November. What gives? :)
ropeburn

Re: No new BETA key?

Post by ropeburn »

Came here to ask the same thing. I only discovered MakeMKV over the Thanksgiving holiday, so I didn't even get my (30 day?) trial out of it before it went dark. I've only ripped a couple BDs to try things out, and I'm convinced - this thing is worth some dosh. But, paying for a beta gives me pause.

So, what's up? :)
tylergfoster

Post by tylergfoster »

I remember the last time the key expired, it took about a day for the new one to go up. It did not go up at midnight.
ropeburn

Post by ropeburn »

Ah. Ok. I wasn't around the last time. I can be patient, I guess.

Also, if it helps anyone else, I found that deleting the ~/.MakeMKV/ directory reset everything and lets it run in Freeware mode for the next 30 days. So yeah - we've got some time for the key situation to settle out.

I asked this in another thread - What would happen if I went ahead and paid for a permanent key? Would it transfer to the "non-Beta" version? Would it still be valid when, say, 1.8.7 Beta is released?
tylergfoster

Post by tylergfoster »

ropeburn wrote:Ah. Ok. I wasn't around the last time. I can be patient, I guess.

Also, if it helps anyone else, I found that deleting the ~/.MakeMKV/ directory reset everything and lets it run in Freeware mode for the next 30 days. So yeah - we've got some time for the key situation to settle out.

I asked this in another thread - What would happen if I went ahead and paid for a permanent key? Would it transfer to the "non-Beta" version? Would it still be valid when, say, 1.8.7 Beta is released?
Might work for you on a Mac, but not for me on a PC. :(
ropeburn

Post by ropeburn »

tylergfoster wrote:Might work for you on a Mac, but not for me on a PC. :(
Assuming you're on Windows...

There's a .MakeMKV folder in your home directory. It appears to have a slightly different purpose, though. The settings files I see on the Mac version are in the registry. HCU\Software\MakeMKV:

A quick search through the registry doesn't seem to turn up anything else useful here, so I'd guess that deleting that folder and registry key (standard disclaimer applies - I'm not responsible for any damage) would "reset" the Eval/Trial period on Windows. I might be able to confirm this tomorrow, but despite having ripped a few titles (in Windows), it still lists the evaluation as "Not started" (Win8 x64, FWIW).
toshibauser

Post by toshibauser »

mhh...interesting..
Devore

Post by Devore »

The purchased key does not expire, and there is no reason to believe it would stop working when (if) MakeMKV comes out of beta.
tylergfoster

Post by tylergfoster »

Devore wrote:The purchased key does not expire, and there is no reason to believe it would stop working when (if) MakeMKV comes out of beta.
In fact, having now looked at the purchase page, it specifically says the opposite, which is that the key should apply to all upgrades to MakeMKV, presumably forever, although they do have the right to suddenly say it doesn't.
cc_in_oh

Post by cc_in_oh »

I just tried the 1.8.6 Windows install and it's working now...

Cheers,
CC
jbartlett777

Post by jbartlett777 »

Was a good thing in a way that the beta key wasn't updated yet, allowed me to see that I could finally purchase the program.

Expires: Never!
Sekkyo

Post by Sekkyo »

It was about time I purchased this wonderful product. Hopefully someone is having a long vacation and we can continue to receive regular updates to this product.
JETmn

Post by JETmn »

I just wish it wasn't so expensive. $30 seems fair, $50 seems a bit high. For that kind of money I would expect a more polished product. It works pretty well most of the time, but closed captions are an issue on some movies and it really does ruin it when they are talking in another language and you can't understand them. Even with forced subtitles on it still does not always get them. I guess I am stuck and have to wait for the key.
Sekkyo

Post by Sekkyo »

That's not an issue for me because I use MakeMKV to rip and Handbrake to encode with everything you seek.
nickbuol

Post by nickbuol »

@Sekkyo, I think that is JETmn's point. The product isn't flawless (what is really though) and to get around some of the issues mean using other apps and more steps after ripping with a program that is supposed to do the rips correctly the first time including or not including different audio tracks or subtitles. For $50, he is saying that it should not have what he is considering a basic function, but for $30 it would be tolerable.

That is how I read it anyway. Not saying that I do or do not agree with him, but that is my interpretation.

I do kind of agree that at $30 more people would be inclined to buy it, but it isn't my product and I don't set the pricing.