MakeMKV Rip 3D Blu-ray And See Extracted File Direct To 3DTV

Everything related to MakeMKV
KaraokeAmerica

Re: MakeMKV Rip 3D Blu-ray And See Extracted File Direct To

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

dazbobaby wrote:http://www.connecta2000.com/BDtoAVCHD/?lang=en
This will create a matroska file but I think it compresses it, it's free so give it a go.
I use this program all the time to create my 3D-TAB files. Using mostly default settings, but a CRF of 18 it will create TAB MKV files that are in the range of 1/3rd the original size. You can also set it to "fit" a certain size media like a 25GB BD-R for example, but I have only sued it to create files since I serve them via Plex server.

Yes, they are compressed. Can you see any difference compared to popping in the physical disk......probably in some cases. However, honestly, the difference is marginal in quality even on my 65 UHD TV. For my purposes the increase in convenience being able to use Plex or similar to serve my media is worth a slight hit on quality.

If I could use Plex or similar to serve a full-res version without having to use physical disks I would do it, but haven't found an all-encompassing solution yet....
Fortissimo

Post by Fortissimo »

SiliconKid: I was thinking about buying a Sony 3D TV today and would love to be able to play 3D movies stored in MP4 format. But this thread has me worried that I'd be wasting my money. I assume I'd have to copy the movies directly onto a flash drive and plug them directly into the 3D TV - will that work?

I have a Roku 4 and Plex media server. Sounds like Plex/Roku won't work for 3D viewing as of the time of this thread's original posting... has anything changed since then?

Thanks so much for your time!

P.S. in case anyone is curious why I don't just buy a 3D Blu-Ray player, I hate watching my movies from the original discs. A small part of the issue is that working with an entirely digital collection is more convenient, but that's not the main issue. I think the movie industry is unethical for putting previews onto purchased DVDs and Blu-Rays that must be eternally endured (I can see putting previews onto rental discs, but not purchased ones). Having the option to skip the previews is not enough of an option. I also hate cumbersome menus that come up, not to mention half the time the menus spoil the essence (or sometimes more) of the movie for a first-time watcher. When I buy a movie, I rip it immediately and never, ever watch it from the original disc. (To me previews on a Blu-Ray or DVD feel a lot like ads that persist after one has purchased a premium version of an app. What more does the movie industry want from me if seeing the movie in the theater and then purchasing the Blu-Ray itself isn't enough???)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I'm not sure many BD players that "do" 3D will do it from an MKV file. Would be interesting to find out. Not that I'd buy one that did - my current TV BD player is many years old, and hasn't been powered up in probably 5 or 6 years.

The media players that understand 3D MKV files isn't very many, either. I've owned 2, and still don't have a 3D-capable TV to test it with. The current one, a KDLinks A300, hasn't won me over on features in general in any case - the Android-based players are not up to the caliber of the one in their older, non-Android player, as far as compatibility with things like subtitles and language selection.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SiliconKid

Post by SiliconKid »

@Fortissimo:

You should be able to play SBS and OU/TAB 3D files directly from a flash drive / external hard drive plugged into the USB port on your 3D TV.

Plex WILL work with SBS/OU/TAB because the in that case there is a single video stream with normal sized frames and the TV is extracting and expanding 2 frames out of every 1 source frame for you, one for each eye.

Plex WILL NOT work with MKV files containing raw BluRay 3D (2 video streams in one file).

Half-SBS and Half-OU/TAB should "just work" and the only thing you MIGHT have to do on the TV is switch it into the correct 3D mode.

Actual BluRay 3D is completely different story. If you rip a 3D BluRay straight to MKV using MakeMKV what you end up with is an MKV file with 2 video streams, one for each eye.

That's essentially how 3D is encoded on a BluRay disc. And to play that requires a special kind of media player that not only understands how to handle an MKV file with 2 video streams, but also understands how to pass that kind of video to a 3D TV in the same way that an actual BluRay player would.

That's why the vast majority of people don't keep raw 3D BluRay rips in MKV format and rather have Half SBS or OU/TAB versions.

If the Half SBS / OU / TAB versions are encoded at a high enough bitrate, the quality should still be excellent. Obviously a raw BD rip is always going to have the best quality though, so people who are obsessive about quality will have media players that know how to play MKV files with raw BD 3D video streams and will prefer those.

I've personally spent a lot of time on this and I can tell you that trying to find a media player that will consistently play MKVs containing raw BD 3D video is almost impossible.

My 3D movie library is all SBS or OU/TAB.
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

SiliconKid wrote:@Fortissimo:

You should be able to play SBS and OU/TAB 3D files directly from a flash drive / external hard drive plugged into the USB port on your 3D TV.

Plex WILL work with SBS/OU/TAB because the in that case there is a single video stream with normal sized frames and the TV is extracting and expanding 2 frames out of every 1 source frame for you, one for each eye.

Plex WILL NOT work with MKV files containing raw BluRay 3D (2 video streams in one file).

Half-SBS and Half-OU/TAB should "just work" and the only thing you MIGHT have to do on the TV is switch it into the correct 3D mode.

Actual BluRay 3D is completely different story. If you rip a 3D BluRay straight to MKV using MakeMKV what you end up with is an MKV file with 2 video streams, one for each eye.

That's essentially how 3D is encoded on a BluRay disc. And to play that requires a special kind of media player that not only understands how to handle an MKV file with 2 video streams, but also understands how to pass that kind of video to a 3D TV in the same way that an actual BluRay player would.

That's why the vast majority of people don't keep raw 3D BluRay rips in MKV format and rather have Half SBS or OU/TAB versions.

If the Half SBS / OU / TAB versions are encoded at a high enough bitrate, the quality should still be excellent. Obviously a raw BD rip is always going to have the best quality though, so people who are obsessive about quality will have media players that know how to play MKV files with raw BD 3D video streams and will prefer those.

I've personally spent a lot of time on this and I can tell you that trying to find a media player that will consistently play MKVs containing raw BD 3D video is almost impossible.

My 3D movie library is all SBS or OU/TAB.
I too immediately rip all my media and play from Plex usually......also for many of the aforementioned reasons, but mostly for convenience.

I WISH that Plex could handle the frame-sequential, full resolution 3D that I'd get from playing the actual disk. If it did I would have found my perfect media player that does pretty much everything I ever wanted from a player. Sadly, it does not so I am still relegated to SBS/TAB as well and most of library is ripped that way.

Supposedly Kodi can play full-res 3D in a multi-stream MKV, but I have not had success in doing this as of yet.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because another reason for being able to play original Blu-Ray type 3D streams is that in those cases you don't have to rip it all twice.....once in 3D and once in 2D for the people that don't like 3D. A "real" rip would allow playing in either format the same way a 3D disk can be played in 2D from the physical disk player.
thoennes

Post by thoennes »

Pretty sure this has been answered and it's really old, but in case anyone ends up here with the following setup:
-Samsung 3d TV (I think they stopped making them this year :(
- Plex app on that TV (it *will* play full framed 3D from in m2ts, you just have to get there from the 3D BD)

-------------- Background ------------
I rip, encode, remux on Apple (El Cap) and/or Linux (ubuntu 16.04)

I use MakeMKV, tsmuxergui, Handbrake (GUI and CLI), along with various scripts I've written

My media server is Plex running on the linux machine, with storage of 3TB drives in a raid6. 3 is the sweet spot right now. Lowest $/byte. Why not snapraid? I use extended attribute metadata, since the drives also serve files via netatalk (Apple protocol) and tags and such are saved as extended attributes. Snapraid doesn't support extended attributes right now. There is also a hot spare drive and mdadm monitoring. I've lost (and recovered) RAID5 and lost completely a RAID6 (was not monitoring as 3 drives failed over 6 months). Was all rips/encodes I have originals of so no data lost but a lot of time. Even with stale backups (about 80% of the non-HD stuff), it took months to recover. Worth the extra drive to lower that chance that. And not it's monitored. Heavily :p

My clients are Plex running on OSX, Samsung, IOS, and android. Perpetual Plex Pass from way back (Good software deserves financial support). The latest IOS11 savvy client with PIP in other open apps is awesome. Being able to pick up where I left off any show from anywhere I happen to be (globally) and automagically... way cool. Have been stuck in an ER in another city, watching Kung Fu series from my home server. Watched movies while waiting for a ferry in another country.). I use VLC for local mobile media. Plex sync still doesn't "have it" perfect. Better than a subscription content service. MakeMKV was another one well worth paying for. When I use something and get solid value from it... pay the peeps to help them keep up the good work.

Anyway....
-------------- What I Do -------------------

Step 1: Rip 3D BD using Makemkv. I have added advanced options so everything selects as I want (except the 3D MVC I still have to select by hand. Only for 3D movies, obviously). You end up with a pretty big mkv file. Usually 30-45GB. This won't work (yet) for the Plex client on a Samsung TV. It needs to be m2ts format.

Step 2: Remux with tsmuxergui (a gui for txmuxer, obviously). When I drag and drop the mkv, I get a blank error dialog box, sometimes. Close it and do it again. Dropping it a second time and it's fine. You'll see all the parts. Select m2ts muxing. This will repack the whole thing into a single m2ts file that Plex on Samsung will play in full 3D glory, just fine. You can delete the ripped mkv if you want. Unless you plan on doing something else with it. Like extracting a 2D HD version. Or encoding it to something smaller with handbrake. Oh, and make sure you don't have leftovers in the muxer. If you drag a movie into it while one is still there, it will mux it all together; that's what muxers do. Clear the one movie out before muxing another.

That's it. Two steps. This is a solution that works with 3d BD plying on Samsung 3DTV, using the Plex App for Samsung, *not* using Plex on a PC hooked up via HDMI.

Incidentally, a PS3 does play 3D BD's via HDMI to the same TV. Also have Plex client on Mac mini hooked up to same TV. It does not play 3D files down the HDMI that the Samsung TV can understand.

Cheers,

Anyway, back to whatever I was looking for and/or doing before. OMG, I need some coffee.... break time!
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

thoennes wrote:Pretty sure this has been answered and it's really old, but in case anyone ends up here with the following setup:
-Samsung 3d TV (I think they stopped making them this year :(
- Plex app on that TV (it *will* play full framed 3D from in m2ts, you just have to get there from the 3D BD)
Do you know if this would work on an LG TV? It's passive to the Samsung's active, but it does have a Plex app.