Titles on Bluray with Japanese audio show up twice

Everything related to MakeMKV
Wasabi

Titles on Bluray with Japanese audio show up twice

Post by Wasabi »

This particular example is the Friends TV show Bluray collection. I've seen it on other discs as well, but it didn't become a major annoyance until now. The first 12 titles listed have the original English audio and all of the other languages EXCEPT Japanese. The second 12 titles are the same as the first 12, except these have the original English audio and Japanese audio only.

1) Can this be fixed? I'm guessing not since the duplicates come from different playlist files.

2) Is it possible to make a default selection rule that disables any title with any Japanese audio? Using -sel:all still leaves the video track selected. I can't figure out a way to completely deselect a track.
ndjamena

Re: Titles on Bluray with Japanese audio show up twice

Post by ndjamena »

The first few series of Supernatural came with separate Japanese titles, in the later series all the languages were merged into single titles. Which highlights the problem with trying to select 'Titles' automatically. A rule for the first few series won't work with the last few.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

I think there was an identical issue with Batman Begins.

SC
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

It's not that big a deal when it's just one movie, but this is 20 discs with as many as 12 episodes each. It really puts a crimp on doing it in batch mode when it's going to take twice as long and take up twice as much space.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I understand perfectly, I think Supernatural had about 4 episodes per disc, but there was no actual pattern to how they were ordered so I had to look at each individual episode and check over and over to make sure I got the right ones.

You have to consider how what you're asking affects the program as a whole, it's not actually a bug and if he implements this someone might get the idea of further 'improving' the title selection, and each time that happens it will make perfect sense to the Requester and everyone who's faced the same problem but eventually it will snowball. It's really not that hard to weed out the Japanese episodes manually, a pain in the ass, yes, but not hard.

By the way, humans decide what's on a disc, which means it doesn't HAVE to have any logical sense. I've had disc where they've included a seemingly random foreign language track on a single episode as a 'special feature'...