Paid for MakeMKV, Avangate Says I Never Paid

Everything related to MakeMKV
DavidH373

Paid for MakeMKV, Avangate Says I Never Paid

Post by DavidH373 »

Hello All.

I've been using MakeMKV for about 3 months now, and it has me addicted to Ripping BluRays. I have a collection of around 60 now, all legally owned, and the quality I get in conjunction with Handbrake compressing at around 8-10GB looks fantastic.

The problem is, Avangate seems to suck. I'm not faulting the MakeMKV staff at all. It's a great software, but I need to keep it up to date and install it on other computers in the future. I bought the software for $50.00 USD via Paypal, created an account, got my key (after an agonizing 35 min.) I activated it no problem. A day later, I got an email from them saying they needed to confirm payment, because it was not fully processed. I checked my Credit Card Statement, and Paypal charged my card $50.00. I ignored the message since I had an account and had activated the software. This email was followed by two identical ones in the following two days. Today, I went to update MakeMKV, and I noticed it was not activated. So I went to Avangate's website, and my account no longer existed. I've sent them an email to hopefully find a solution, but I have little faith in Avangate at this point, since it seems they've stolen my money.

If any of the developers are on here, I want to keep them posted, and hopefully get some advice while I am at it. I want all of you to know I bought the software to support them. Unfortunately, at this point I'm not even sure if they got paid. I would be very sad to learn they didn't...
DavidH373

Re: Paid for MakeMKV, Avangate Says I Never Paid

Post by DavidH373 »

Still no response back. Not even automated.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Paypal won't return the money directly to your bank account if a payment fails. Have you checked your paypal account, it's possible the money is there.
twa000

Post by twa000 »

... and if cannot get a response from Avangate, talk to PayPal, they have always been very good in getting my money back in the past or fixing the issue - they have a section for handling these issues.
captain

Post by captain »

PayPal solves problems!? LOL!! Yeah, by shutting down your account, locking up all of your funds, and confiscating them if you don't jump through *exactly* the 1week time-frame hoops set up months down the road. I cannot scream enough how much paypal sucks.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

If Avangate can't find any evidence that a payment was made, then they can't find any evidence that a payment was made, I'm not sure what you expect from them at that point. If I sold something on ebay and couldn't find any evidence that the bidder had paid I sure as hell wouldn't be sending the goods anyway, no matter how much he protested, and if I found out he'd gone on a forum to remonstrate about how much I suck I'd be really quite annoyed. Avangate, like all people dealing with goods and services, have to look out for scammers and hackers. The OP got caught up in a glitch in the system, the fact the he's the only one complaining means, at least, it's not epidemic, there's nothing untoward going on here, everyone is just doing their job. The best option from here is to do the PayPal reversal then pay again and hope it works out this time, MakeMKV is worth the USD50 price tag, and going from experience and after currency conversion at least $19.26 more than that!
twa000

Post by twa000 »

captain wrote:PayPal solves problems!? LOL!! Yeah, by shutting down your account, locking up all of your funds, and confiscating them if you don't jump through *exactly* the 1week time-frame hoops set up months down the road. I cannot scream enough how much paypal sucks.
I would agree that setting up PayPal is one of the worst experiences in life, and also their ability to respond to issues where you have multiple country accounts is crap, but fixing payment issues - never had a problem in many years - touch wood!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

DavidH373 wrote:Still no response back. Not even automated.
Apologies for missing the post. Please write to support@makemkv.com - this will be sorted out one way or another. Thanks!