Audio help

Everything related to MakeMKV
noonoo123

Audio help

Post by noonoo123 »

Hello all,

So I just built a new HTPC and want to make rips of my Blu-Ray collections. I am having trouble of what audio to select so I need your help :( .. I pretty much want all English audio (dts, stereo, commentary, etc).

Here's what I've ticked so far -

Or is this what it's supposed to look like? -

Cheers if anyone can help! Also if there is a thread regarding this please link me as I couldn't find any relevant ones.

Edit: Nevermind, just going to tick all 5.1 and stereo (english) tracks including the hierarchy track (TrueHD Surround 5.1 English in this case) unless it's 7.1.

Edit2: or should I just select all audio including 7.1 tracks? 7.1 will just downmix to 5.1 if 5.1 channel audio is the highest supported correct?
PaulCB

Re: Audio help

Post by PaulCB »

You would just need to select all the top level check boxes to get all the English tracks of whatever. If you select the child box, it gives a separate audio track. In this case you would end up with a TrueHD track (which will play at 5.1 or whatever your system supports) and a separate DD 5.1 track (which you don't need unless there is a specific reason you want a dedicated lower resolution main audio track).
You do want to select the top level DD 2.0 track if you want all the English audio. I'd guess that is a commentary track but I am too lazy to go get my disc to find out. ;)
noonoo123

Re: Audio help

Post by noonoo123 »

Thanks! Makes sense to have only one superior audio track rather than two (5.1) different ones. So to confirm, only select the top/default audio + other audio rather than the core audio, correct?

What about if it looks like this?

- 7.1 audio
- 5.1 audio (core audio according to makemkv)
- Italian
- Spanish
- English Stereo

Do I select 7.1 only + whatever else I want and not select the core 5.1 audio? Does only selecting the top level (7.1 in this example) already contain the 5.1 audio as well?