Subtitles ALWAYS present in latest release

Everything related to MakeMKV
bwanner

Subtitles ALWAYS present in latest release

Post by bwanner »

Hi,

Just wonder if (or why) there has been any recent changes in the way subtitles sub/idx are encoded in the makemkv generated mkv files?
In the latest release, there ALWAYS seems to be a subtitle in some kind of forced mode (if I have selected one in the DVD layout). Is there some kind of FORCED subtitle flag set by accident in the latest makemkv release?

Let me explain.

Earlier desired behaviour:
I open DVD, select the video title, audio and subtitle track (Swedish) only. The resulting MKV contains all selected tracks, but the subtitle is NOT visible in ANY of the WMP, MPC or VLC players. I then open the MKV file in RipBot, crop and resize and can select if I want to "burn" the subtitle into the h264/mkv file - or not. The sub/idx file extracted from makemkv mkv file in is usually not compliant, but opening it with VobSub, possibly adjusting scale, x and y offsets and saving is a quick remediation.

Behaviour in latest release, NOT desired:
As above I open and select video, audio and Swedish subtitle, and the resulting file contains all tracks. But NOW the subtitle is automatically and ALWAYS displayed in ALL WMP, MPC or VLC players! It can't be disabled!

This leads to a MAJOR problem when I open the makemkv file in Ripbot. The subtitle is ALWAYS present it seems. I know that it has not been burned in by makemkv, but it sure appears that way! If I select Ripbot to burn the subtitle as before, and I have adjusted scale, x, y, I nowadays ALWAYS get double subtitles!!

If I demux the makemkv file into its separate tracks, play the video, the subtitle is [of course] not "burned" into the video. But this is an extra step, and seems to loose some audio info (DD5.1 is reported as DD2).

I see the difference in several original makemkv files - before and after upgrading to the latest version. Before - NO automatic subtitles, after ALWAYS subtitles.

Thanks for your assistance,
Bo
mike admin

Re: Subtitles ALWAYS present in latest release

Post by mike admin »

One thing for sure, sbtitle code did not change for a long time.
pennant

Post by pennant »

I had the same problem with a DVD I just ripped. I selected all the subtitles and the first English one is automatically on when I play the file in MPC-HC. It would be nice if MakeMKV detected the real forced subtitles.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

But NOW the subtitle is automatically and ALWAYS displayed in ALL WMP, MPC or VLC players! It can't be disabled!
Those subtitles most certainly CAN be turned off under VLC:

Once the video is playing, click on the "Video" dropdown menu, click on "Subtitles" and then select "Disable"