Subtitles?

Everything related to MakeMKV
tucansam

Subtitles?

Post by tucansam »

I am confused about subtitles.

If I select subtitles, they are all displayed (as in for the hearing impaired).

But I only want to see subtitles for non-English parts of movies.

I think I understand what forced options are for subtitles, but do I select all subtitles, forced subtitles, one or the other, both, etc?

Thanks
ndjamena

Re: Subtitles?

Post by ndjamena »

MKV containers won't work with forced and non-forced subtitles in the same track. If you want to display the forced subtitles only you'll need to separate them into their own track, which is why the option is there. Other than that some subtitles are just plain speech while others are Closed Caption/SHD or whatever you want to call it which includes non-speech audio descriptions (such as [Growl] or [Cough]) as well. A DVD or Blu-ray will have either plain speech subtitles, Closed Caption/SHD or sometimes even both (that took me a while to figure out).

If you just want the translations then you want just the forced subtitles and you don't need to tick the parent subtitle. If they're found in the stream they'll get their own subtitle track and you may want to set both the DEFAULT and FORCED MKV flags on the track to 'true' to make it more likely the player will actually show them without user intervention. If no forced subtitles are found MakeMKV will simply remove the Track Header from the file.
Last edited by ndjamena on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dazkine

Re: Subtitles?

Post by Dazkine »

I use PowerDVD for finding Forced Subs.

When you start the Movie and there is one subtitle stream activated then its a Forced Sub. If no sub is activated automatically then there are no forced subs OR they are inside a regular Sub Stream.