feature request - Multiple Chapternames

Everything related to MakeMKV
Dazkine

feature request - Multiple Chapternames

Post by Dazkine »

It's possible to have more than one title/name for each chapterentry with MKV. That's useful to have the chapterlist in different languages.

example:

Code: Select all

<ChapterAtom>
9	      <ChapterDisplay>
10	        <ChapterString>Chapter 01</ChapterString>
11	        <ChapterLanguage>eng</ChapterLanguage>
12	      </ChapterDisplay>
13	      <ChapterDisplay>
14	        <ChapterString>Kapitel 01</ChapterString>
15	        <ChapterLanguage>ger</ChapterLanguage>
16	      </ChapterDisplay>
17	      <ChapterDisplay>
18	        <ChapterString>Chapitre 01</ChapterString>
19	        <ChapterLanguage>fre</ChapterLanguage>
20	      </ChapterDisplay>
21	      <ChapterUID>8564053592112559241</ChapterUID>
22	      <ChapterTimeStart>00:00:00.000000000</ChapterTimeStart>
23	      <ChapterFlagHidden>0</ChapterFlagHidden>
24	      <ChapterFlagEnabled>1</ChapterFlagEnabled>
25	    </ChapterAtom>
It should be very easy to add this feature into MakeMKV
Woodstock

Re: feature request - Multiple Chapternames

Post by Woodstock »

For the most part, MakeMKV copies what is on the disk to the MKV file. There are other utilities intended to edit the contents.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Dazkine

Post by Dazkine »

Yeah, but there are also other tools for ripping and creating mkv files.

So can you tell me WHY this feature should not be implemented?

"There are other tools for doing this and that" is not really an argument...

Its just about adding a few lines into the chapter.xml file before muxing.

Or at least to have the opportunity to import an own chapter.xml into MMKV.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Because apaarently it's a feature rarely needed by anyone else?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Dazkine

Post by Dazkine »

maybe, maybe not.

Well its just a feature request. I think it is useful others maybe dont think so.

I my opinion its better than a programm CAN do something than it can not.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Dazkine wrote:maybe, maybe not.

Well its just a feature request. I think it is useful others maybe dont think so.

I my opinion its better than a programm CAN do something than it can not.
Have you actually bothered visualising what you're asking for? It's not covered in the current UI, which means Mike would have to rewrite the entire user interface, just to add a feature most people would have absolutely no use for, and couldn't find a use for, even if they tried.
http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/ wrote:MakeMKV is a program that is very complex inside, but has very simple interface. Converting a video disc is a simple 3-step process.
Dazkine

Post by Dazkine »

yeah for one point the ENTIRE UI needs to be rewritten. You r absolutely right!

Is there any impact for you using the software if its possible to create multiple chapternames? I guess no.

I can understand when someone doesnt need a special feature, but i dont understand why someone is against it. If you dont need it, just dont use it, but there is no need to say "nobody needs something like that!"

YOU dont need it, I get it, so its okay, but please dont talk for the majority:)
Have you actually bothered visualising what you're asking for?
Actually you dont need visualing when there is at least the possibility to edit chapter.xml maybe in expert mode.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

YOU dont need it, I get it, so its okay, but please dont talk for the majority:)
And, likewise, you should follow your own advice.

I can see how multilingual chapter names could have use for some people. The question is, how many people edit their chapter names? How many DVDs and BDs come with chapter names more complex than "Chapter 01"? I know some that do; I own some, which are multiple-language. And they have the chapter titles available in (wait for it) ONE language. Sometimes it's English, sometimes it's Japanese, Chinese, I even have one title with the titles in German (disks bought from German market).

Would this feature be generally useful? Enough so to increase the complexity of MakeMKV to add an XML editor? Will it speed up the work flow for those needing it, as opposed to using a tool designed for the task?

The same arguments apply to "Why use MakeMKV when Handbrake can be configured to rip the files from the disk AND transcode them to a more compact encoding in one step?" If you rip one disk per day, it's certainly more convenient to do everything in one tool. Do a dozen or more a day, not so much.... Best tool for each job.

When you are coding something yourself, you only have to convince yourself that a feature is useful. When you're asking someone else to do it, you need to sell the idea, to show why it is important or desirable for that person to do the work necessary to add that feature.

What you've posted so far is an excellent explanation of what you are talking about, and why YOU want it. Time to convince others as to how useful it will be to THEM.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Dazkine wrote:I can understand when someone doesnt need a special feature, but i dont understand why someone is against it.
D'uh, because obviously wasted time on pointless features could be better used on fixing MakeMKV's bugs or implementing generally needed features. In all my years doing MKVs this is the first time I've seen someone request this. I'm also quite sure you could do it with MKVToolnix already.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Dazkine

Post by Dazkine »

I'm also quite sure you could do it with MKVToolnix already.
Sure MKVToolnix can do it. Like i said its just an "idea".

But editing an existing chapterlist inside a MKVfile is not as easy as MKV-Header editing. You can add a chapterlist if the mkvfile has none, but editing is not possible. As far as i know you have to create a whole new MKVfile for this.
Enough so to increase the complexity of MakeMKV to add an XML editor?
You dont need any XML editor. Just import an existing chapter.xml file. MakeMKV also creates that file, so do you think using chapterlist_a.xml is more complex than using chapterlist_b.xml ?

If you can use your own chapter.xml you have even more possibilities than "multiple chapternames" (hidden chapters, ordered chapters, modifying chapterstart/endingtimes etc.) and there is absolutely no impact for anyone who doesnt want/need that.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

You can extract the chapters from an MKV using MKVExtract, edit them however you like, then put them back in using MKVPropEdit. Or you can just use MMG and add as many names in as many languages as you like. If you're fussy about the neatness of the files internals you can remux then afterwards using MKVMerge.

Yes, it IS better to add chapters while a file is being made rather than adding them later, but if you make that file and realise you made a spelling mistake or such you'll need to use MKVToolNix on it anyway, thus invalidating your point... MakeMKV takes the contents of an Optical Disc and puts it in an MKV, micromanagement of those MKVs is the work of other programs.