1.8.10 Remuxing MKVs with Subtitles FAILS Every Time

Everything related to MakeMKV
ronblade

1.8.10 Remuxing MKVs with Subtitles FAILS Every Time

Post by ronblade »

Has anyone else noticed this recent MakeMKV development? Every time I try to remux an MKV file (made previously with MakeMKV, stating no errors in the process), if the file contains PGS subtitle and any of the subtitle tracks are checked to be remuxed, the remux will fail almost immediately.

If I use 1.8.7 this problem disappears. I have replicated this problem on both a Mac and a Windows machine.

I would appreciate if anyone could confirm this bug by attempting to remux any of their MKVs (with PGS subtitles) using 1.8.10.

Thank You!

P.S. I love MakeMKV and this is the first issue I have had with it after years of use. :)
ronblade

Re: 1.8.10 Remuxing MKVs with Subtitles FAILS Every Time

Post by ronblade »

For clarification, by "remuxing" I mean the process of opening a previously-created MKV within MakeMKV and then making a new MKV. I use this process quite often to trim away unneeded subtitle tracks after ripping Blu Rays in my collection.

With 1.8.10, remuxing an MKV while retaining a subtitle track seems impossible. Hopefully someone can duplicate what I am experiencing and a fix can be found.

Thank you to everyone involved with making this software so incredibly awesome and indispensable.
OldTimerToo

Post by OldTimerToo »

I'm not sure what you are doing in your process, but I'm remuxing Planes with no problems. I'm not saving the new file to the same directory, which may be behind your failure.

About the only message that I'm seeing is "Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages."

While I'm at it, does anyone know of any settings with WDTV Live to get it to display PGS subtitles of Blu-ray discs that have been made into MKV files with MakeMKV? I don't have any problems as long as the original was a DVD, but Blu-ray discs encode subtitles differently. It is my understanding that the WD TV Live device can display subtitles of shows from either type of disc that has been converted to MKV files.

Or is there a way to use MakeMKV to convert PGS subtitles to the same kind used by DVDs?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Use expert mode and the WDTV profile under advanced options.

I have no problems remuxing MKVs done in 1.8.10 to change the subtitle order.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ronblade

Post by ronblade »

Thanks for trying this out on your systems, guys. It sounds like you are not experiencing the errors that I am, but it is still a mystery to me what is going on as the only thing that has changed is my switch from 1.8.7 to 1.8.10. Even now, if I use 1.8.7 for ripping and remuxing, the problems all go away.

I never remux to the same directory, or even the same hard drive, so I don't believe any sort of transfer bottleneck is causing these errors.

Mike has requested file samples from me, so I imagine an explanation or solution is in the works.

Thanks!
OldTimerToo

Post by OldTimerToo »

Chetwood wrote:Use expert mode and the WDTV profile under advanced options.
Thanks. I'll give it a try, but I suspect it will work for BD discs and the subtitles.