One License to Rule Them All?

Everything related to MakeMKV
johndoe86x

One License to Rule Them All?

Post by johndoe86x »

Hey guys, I tried searching the forum for an answer first. It seems that if I buy the license for Windows that I can also use the software on Linux as well? I just want to double check before dropping $50. Right now, I'm primarily a Windows user, but with the huge amount of support that Linux has been getting over the past bit, I'd like to finally make the switch.

So, if I buy a license for MakeMKV, it will be good for all operating systems that are supported? Thank you for your work on this project! My HTPC is looking great these days! :D
Woodstock

Re: One License to Rule Them All?

Post by Woodstock »

License applies to whatever operating system. Actual limitation is on how many systems you run it on at the same time...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rickyjm

Post by rickyjm »

Actual limitation is on how many systems you run it on at the same time...
Just to clarify here, if I uninstall and reinstall this 10 times in a day, your server will only view it has one licensed used?
Always back it up. Image
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It's not "my server"...

MakeMKV only contacts Mike's server to find out if there are updates, and even that can be disabled. There is nothing that says you can't run a farm of 4000 machines on the same license, ripping disks 24 hours a day, although you can do that under the Beta key, if you don't mind updating it every month or so on those 4000 machines.

Distributing your key to other people.... that's not nice. If they're too cheap to get their own license, they can "suffer" with changing out the beta key once in a while.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
johndoe86x

Post by johndoe86x »

Thank you for your reply, my intention is not to distribute the key to others. I recently stumbled upon a tutorial that allowed me to use a plugin in XBMC that uses MakeMKV's decoding capabilities to play a blu ray disc. It works really well.

If you guys are unaware of it, here is the link. I'd be stoked if you guys wanted to pursue this even further.
http://lifehacker.com/5621471/how-to-en ... ck-in-xbmc

Anyways, I am ripping my blu ray collection to a server using MakeMKV. However, it would be a nice option to also be able to play a blu-ray disc in a Linux HTPC I have set up in the living room. So, I actually wouldn't plan on using the license more than one machine at a time. I appreciate your response, and I'll be purchasing MakeMKV soon :)