DVD differences

Everything related to MakeMKV
makememe

DVD differences

Post by makememe »

please explain why some dvd rips are pixelated? the pixelation is not distinct, but the rips are not par with the dvd presentation. for example, my orig star trek series dvds rip with no discernible issues--look great. most dvds ripped with makemkv look great; however, rips like the x-files series (dvds) and some movies (dvds) have faint pixelation. what is the difference?

I purchased this software to support the people behind as I build a media library using it. I am thankful for makemkv, so I am not blaming this software. however, there are differences with some of these dvds and it would be nice to know if it possible to eliminate the pixelation.

thanks.
Woodstock

Re: DVD differences

Post by Woodstock »

Since the video within the MKV file is the same stream as the DVD contains, the answer is probably in your player software. MakeMKV would have complained if the data being read was corrupted.

Are you using the same player software to view both the raw DVD and the MKV file?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
makememe

Post by makememe »

Woodstock,

Thank you for the reply, and my apologies for the late response; I forgot about my entry until I was watching a pixelated frasier tonight. I know, pathetic. I have no excuses.

I am not sure what you are on about regarding the player differences. most dvds I watch on either the ps3 or ps4, none of them are pixelated. of course, I use a player like vlc to view the mkv on pc.

the ripping player is a pioneer bdr206 and was for my library.

I state again this issue is not for all dvds. for example, all the frasier's I have watched are pixelated, yet I have no issues with the orig star trek series. is the pixelation a showstopper? no, but it is noticeable from some dvds.

I have had no issues with br and most dvds, so I am satisfied with makemkv and very happy to support. makemkv was just what I needed as I move tp convert my library; however it appears there are differences in some dvds that do not get to mkv without a losing something in the rip. I understand a bad disk here and there, but 10 consecutive bad series disks of frasier? there is something different between how star trek orig was put to dvd and frasier, imo.

that is, I am not blaming makemkv.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you watch the DVD itself using VLC, and the MKV file with VLC, the results SHOULD be identical.
makememe

Post by makememe »

my disks are in boxes, so I will give it a look-see soon--from pc. it is my impression that the images should be same, but that is not the case from dvd to mkv for some dvds. for example, faulty towers is also noticeably, slightly, pixelated. I do not get why some dvds are ripped with lessor quality. there has to be something different with the dvds that rip perfectly and the duds.

thanks again for the help.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Fawlty Towers has no pixelization on my rips to MKV files... But, that's viewing with VLC or one of my media players (Uebo and Micca) from a media server. They were also tested with an Asus player.
Faber

Post by Faber »

makememe wrote:
Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:55 am
Woodstock,

Thank you for the reply, and my apologies for the late response; I forgot about my entry until I was watching a pixelated frasier tonight. I know, pathetic. I have no excuses.

I am not sure what you are on about regarding the player differences. most dvds I watch on either the ps3 or ps4, none of them are pixelated. of course, I use a player like vlc to view the mkv on pc.

the ripping player is a pioneer bdr206 and was for my library.

I state again this issue is not for all dvds. for example, all the frasier's I have watched are pixelated, yet I have no issues with the orig star trek series. is the pixelation a showstopper? no, but it is noticeable from some dvds.

I have had no issues with br and most dvds, so I am satisfied with makemkv and very happy to support. makemkv was just what I needed as I move tp convert my library; however it appears there are differences in some dvds that do not get to mkv without a losing something in the rip. I understand a bad disk here and there, but 10 consecutive bad series disks of frasier? there is something different between how star trek orig was put to dvd and frasier, imo.

that is, I am not blaming makemkv.
I'm having the somewhat similar problem with the 2016 set. The episodes in my set aren't pixelated, but they're not nearly as clear as they should be. They don't even look as good as the Netflix episodes. I've tried various filters and filter combinations, but to no avail.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Faber wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:26 am
They don't even look as good as the Netflix episodes. I've tried various filters and filter combinations, but to no avail.
Really ...?
You are comparing DVD with Netflix content and are surpised about the different look? DVD uses interlaced frames and have a max. resolution of 720x576px (anamorph for 16:9) with 25fps. DVD uses a technik from 1995 and should never be compared with actual streaming or whatever technics.
Good Luck :)