Person of Interest - Season 1 on BR

Everything related to MakeMKV
FredTheDog

Person of Interest - Season 1 on BR

Post by FredTheDog »

Anyone tried ripping this yet? There seems to be two copies of each episode on the disc, which once ripped and then looking at each of the duplicated episodes in MediaInfo seems to be exactly the same.

Have also watched one episode, both duplicates on the rip and the original BR episode, and there seems to be no difference here either, apart from taking three hours to find this out I have no idea why this would be.....anyone got any ideas??
ndjamena

Re: Person of Interest - Season 1 on BR

Post by ndjamena »

It's unlikely they're exactly the same, otherwise MakeMKV would have removed one. Check the chapters, the track listings and the segment map, if there's any differences at all, no matter how slight, that would explain it.

Blu Ray can have multiple versions of a title intended for different countries/languages or any other reason, there's no real limit.
Last edited by ndjamena on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When you checked the media info, did you check it for the disk, or just the results of the rip?

I ask because MakeMKV has some default settings that could come into play here. One is that, if there are two tracks for the same language, it will pick the "best quality" one to rip. So, if there is a 5.1 and a 2.0 track, the 5.1 will be selected, and the 2.0 ignored. But, sometimes, that "extra" 2.0 track is an audio commentary... and the BD menu system treats the version with the commentary track as "separate".

I configure MakeMKV to grab ALL tracks in my selected languages when it rips, because sometimes the 2.0 track is the regular audio track, and the 5.1 is the commentary track.... Some Star Trek movies are like that.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
trumpet205

Post by trumpet205 »

I have ripped Season 1 and Season 2 of Person of Interest. Yes there are two listings per episode.

The video itself is the same, but one listing has English/Spanish/French while the other only has English/Japanese.