Multiple possible Titles, workflow...

Everything related to MakeMKV
jellegard

Multiple possible Titles, workflow...

Post by jellegard »

hello all-

i have been using MakeMKV for years and think it's an absolute awesome program. i have used it to rip over 1,000 movies in my library for PLEX. lately the studios are putting multiple titles with the the rights size and the right run length of the movie making it very difficult to extract the right title from the disk to save.

i have, up to this point, relied on others efforts to guide me or give the right source title file .mpls with the right segment map to extract the right title. today i endeavored to undertake this in the hopes of giving back now and in the future for discs like that employ this type fo protection. i have spent i count even begin to tell you how many hours today trying to get the right title for:

Singles Moms Club

and i have failed miserably. i bought the disc for my daughter to watch on PLEX via her ROKU in her room. she is getting a little perturbed with me b/c she wants to watch the movie and doesn't have a BluRay player in her room. i have spent about $300 on different programs today to try and find the right title to extract and i am no further than i was when i started.

as there seems to be more and more discs coming out like this i want to find a workflow and learn (and hopefully help others learn as well) that will allow me to make sure i extract the right title. what i have done thus far is:

1) put the movie in my BluRay player to find the right length of the movie (1:51:10)
1a) there are 18, yes EIGHTEEN, titles with this length

2) used MakeMKV to go through all the titles with the right length and wrote down the name(s) of the files and the order of each .m2ts file of each of the source file .mpls files with the right length

this is where frustration begins to set in. once i did the above i launched VLC to try and see what title it would play. i downloaded the AACS and the other file and put them in the right spot on my Mac (running the latest OS) and VLC couldn't/wouldn't play the disc. i ran VLC on the Windows side (Windows 7) and still no luck. i purchased AnyDVD HD to unlock the disc and tried VLC again - still no luck.

so then i tried to use VLC to view each of the .m2ts files listed in each title to view the files to see if i could piece together the movie and then determine the right title - but i cannot open the .m2ts files. i purchased several other programs to try and view the .m2ts files and all i ever got was one error after another.

i researched the net and these forums and found people that were able to view the BluRay disc and .m2ts files successfully but i have not been able to. at this point i give up. can someone PLEASE tell me how i can view .m2ts files on either a Mac or Windows machine? does someone have a good workflow for these BluRays that are using this form of copy protection? I would really, really appreciate your help and guidance...

thx.
Wasabi

Re: Multiple possible Titles, workflow...

Post by Wasabi »

First of all, let's stop pretending you spent $300 trying to figure out which playlist is correct so your daughter can watch a god-awful Tyler Perry movie on Bluray :lol:

At least one version of the disc uses playlist 497, and the length is actually 1:52:10.

If that doesn't work for you, decrypt the entire disk in MakeMKV (the folder icon - backup). Then you can fiddle with the .m2ts files to your heart's content.
jellegard

Post by jellegard »

Actually Wasabi, I did spend $300. And just so you know it wasn't just for The Single Mom's Club. I purchased the other programs so I didn't have to wait for someone here to post which title to extract; I wanted to be able to do it on my own and try to be an active, CONTRIBUTING member of the MakeMKV community. If you would like the breakdown here it is:

AnyDVD HD - 119 Euros for lifetime membership
Clone DVD - 55 Euros for lifetime membership
ByteCopy (Windows) - $42.00
ByteCopy (Mac) - $42.00
PowerDVD - $84.95
WinDVD Pro - $59.99

That totals approximately $386.94 genius. I spent the money on all of these programs because I don't like being locked out of my media and if I want to copy it for my own purposes then I should be free to do that. There is no one BEST program. They all have their strengths, they all have their weaknesses but they are tools in my toolbox. How many mechanics have one wrench? One screwdriver? One saw? They don't, because each tool has its own purpose.

The next time you want to be a smarta*s why don't you get the facts before you spout off you pimply faced little twerp, probably with no job and an Obama lover to boot.

So yes I did spend over $300. Not for this one CD but as tools in my toolbox to possibly, just possibly help others here enjoy their media on any platform, in any format they want. Maybe one of these people just might be you in the future Wasabi....
Last edited by jellegard on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jellegard

Post by jellegard »

and btw, you didn't answer the question of how does one actually view the .m2ts file(s)..... make yourself useful and answer that question so someone else might benefit from your knowledge and not your smarta*s comments....
mancolh

Post by mancolh »

Most times DVDFab gets the right title soon after release. I still like to use MakeMKV though. I usually load it into DVDFab, find the title it is going to rip and then reload it in MakeMKV and use that title. Another program to buy but I agree with your need to be able to use your purchased media throughout your house.
jellegard

Post by jellegard »

I'll add DVDFab to my list of purchases. I agree with you about using the other programs just to find the right title and then rip with MakeMKV. i LOVE MakeMKV and pretty much only use another program after multiple attempts with MakeMKV, on multiple computers, on multiple different BluRay drives. Nothing beats MakeMKV.

I have only found one (1) DVD that MakeMKV could not rip and that is Roger Waters - In the Flesh. Other than that I have ripped over 1,000 movies using MakeMKV and it has no equal in my opinion....
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

jellegard wrote:and btw, you didn't answer the question of how does one actually view the .m2ts file(s)..... make yourself useful and answer that question so someone else might benefit from your knowledge and not your smarta*s comments....
Once you've decrypted the Blu-ray with MakeMKV, you'd be hard-pressed to find video software that WON'T play the .m2ts files: VLC, MPC, VSO, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of options on Mac as well.

And as far as your weak attempts at censored insults, I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass who allegedly spent nearly $400 to do something a free program has been able to do for years :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

jellegard wrote:The next time you want to be a smarta*s why don't you get the facts before you spout off you pimply faced little twerp, probably with no job and an Obama lover to boot.
You must be a real treat to be around in person. You mad, bro? :lol:
MrWizerd

Post by MrWizerd »

jellegard wrote:Actually Wasabi, I did spend $300. And just so you know it wasn't just for The Single Mom's Club. I purchased the other programs so I didn't have to wait for someone here to post which title to extract; I wanted to be able to do it on my own and try to be an active, CONTRIBUTING member of the MakeMKV community. If you would like the breakdown here it is:

AnyDVD HD - 119 Euros for lifetime membership
Clone DVD - 55 Euros for lifetime membership
ByteCopy (Windows) - $42.00
ByteCopy (Mac) - $42.00
PowerDVD - $84.95
WinDVD Pro - $59.99

That totals approximately $386.94 genius. I spent the money on all of these programs because I don't like being locked out of my media and if I want to copy it for my own purposes then I should be free to do that. There is no one BEST program. They all have their strengths, they all have their weaknesses but they are tools in my toolbox. How many mechanics have one wrench? One screwdriver? One saw? They don't, because each tool has its own purpose.

The next time you want to be a smarta*s why don't you get the facts before you spout off you pimply faced little twerp, probably with no job and an Obama lover to boot.

So yes I did spend over $300. Not for this one CD but as tools in my toolbox to possibly, just possibly help others here enjoy their media on any platform, in any format they want. Maybe one of these people just might be you in the future Wasabi....
I hope to do this without adding fuel to this growing flame war, however, I have to agree with you jellegard to some degree at least. I have a collection of nearly a thousand movies myself and since I started collecting back when Blockbuster was still an actual corner store you could travel to; and when they had late fees that regularly totaled more than the movies replacement cost, I have mostly DVD's. So I don't have a huge amount of movies that are in the Blu-Ray format mainly due to a major change in lifestyle due to an accident and the fact that most of my movies come to me via Netflix. This being said I am looking at purchasing MakeMKV to rip the vast majority of my movies EVEN THOUGH I actually could do ALL of my Blu-Rays NOW in the trial period and may NEVER need to use it again as long as I don't buy a lot of movies I want to backup because I could easily just use the evaluation period over and over every time I re-install my computer. Now some people may ask, why not just do that? Well the answer is simple, there is a large number of people who fail to realize that without PAYING to support the software developers who are on the front fighting our battle with these huge media conglomerates who are trying to force us to purchase THEIR digital streaming service for OUR licensed copy of their intellectual property WE common folks would loose the battle. Simply put, what we do with our legally purchased copy of their movie is simply OUR business and NOT theirs so long as we are NOT distributing it. Programs like MakeMKV, AnyDVD HD, Etc. allow us to continue to backup our physical discs allowing us to stream them in our homes and to our mobile devices without carrying bulky discs that can be stolen, damaged, or lost. We are simply protecting our investment and we have the right, and in fact the obligation, in my opinion to do just that.

Now part of that is not only to spend the money on the software that allows us to continue to do that free of paying extra money to services like VUDU who basically sell our OWN licences back to us with an added fee for there servers and bandwidth that we ALREADY pay for in our own homes AND mobile devices, that we are NOT using when we are NOT there to watch OUR movies. You see what I am saying. If we don't spend the money on these programs that enable us to freely use our own resources that we ALREADY own and maintain then we will be FORCED to pay extra money to another company who will gladly laugh all the way to the bank. The second part of this is that without people who are wiling to go the extra mile to LEARN HOW to rip our Legally Licensed copies of movies ALL of this is essentially moot as well. I would never dare to besmirch someone who is willing and able to spend the extra funds on not only actually paying for his software which so many people these days don't do, thinking they will let others bear that burden for them and I am obviously not point this at anyone here, but he is paying for extra software so that he may learn the process in which others are already using. THEN he comes to this forum to ask for help after having already done 80% of the leg work and running up against a brick wall he is pointed at, called a liar, THEN belittled for actually SUPPORTING the software that is at the forefront of the battle to allow us to use our legally licensed copies of movies the way we see fit with in the letter of the law.

I find it harder and harder to continue existing with people who are so smug that they honestly seem to think there own waste gasses smell pleasant. (Insert south park episode depicting the SMUG catastrophe caused by the Prius here) While my esteemed colleague here is trying to be not only a honest person who follows the rules set out by our society, but to do so while supporting the people whom have taken up a yoke of burden to program the software that allows us to exercise our legal rights as licensed copy holders of these movies, but who is also willing to spend his hard earned money, and precious time away from the daughter he has toiled so long for in order to deliver her the movie of her choosing no matter WHAT WE may think of it, to help others in there quest to do the same. Instead of flaming him you should be thanking him at the very LEAST, not insulting him. It was rude, presumptuous, preposterous and down right disrespectful. I hope my sons never do such a thing, and I hope you think before you sit down at your computer and decide to be rude to someone behind the anonymity of the internet. You don't know him, you don't know me, and insofar as the things you post I don't know either of you, but one thing is certain, jellegard seems like the kind of people that I care to regard as my peer. Wasabi you sir, are not, and while I sit further pondering your personality based on what I glean from your posts, I think that you have aptly named yourself... Irritating, Hot, and Green with what I can only assume is envy.

Jellegard, I apologize for not having an answer to your question. I came here in search of answers to my own, and while I suspect that I have gleaned the answer somewhat from your question I think that I will consider the quandary settled. I was curious as to why MakeMKV would rip the movie more than one time, and I think that the answer is that there are multiple work-paths it can follow and it will try to follow them and thus you end up with more than one copy of the movie. So I believe you have inadvertently helped me, and for that I thank you. Oh, and I also apologize for the slight dig in regards to the Tyler Perry movie... I just can't bear to watch them every time I try I turn them off. However, I think that the message that I think he is attempting to deliver in that particular movie is at it's core a good one, however, that is only a guess as after the Madea movies I have written him off...