Transformers Age of Instinction shrinking down file size

Everything related to MakeMKV
Cormaster628

Transformers Age of Instinction shrinking down file size

Post by Cormaster628 »

So I just ripped Transformers Age of Instinction with make mkv and the file size was 28gb which is around normal. Should NORMALLY translate to around 3gb for handbrake except this time that's not the case. I turned RF up to 23 and only selected dolby digital 5.1 as the only audio track and still ended up with a 7gb unplayable file which as everyone knows, if it's over 4gb it's naturally unplayable unless you select "large file siize" which is 64-bit support. I don't want to deal with that since I'll be playing this on a either a PS3, 360, or Chromecast so it's gotta be 32-bit. What went wrong here? How can it be the same size mkv and not compress as much?
The Masked Onion

Re: Transformers Age of Instinction shrinking down file size

Post by The Masked Onion »

The RF encoded size depends on the source. If the movie has a lot of noise, grain or action it can really drive the bitrate up. You either need to denoise the source when encoding or use 2pass set to 4gb.
Woodstock

Re: Transformers Age of Instinction shrinking down file size

Post by Woodstock »

Your question is best suited for the Handbrake forum...
Cormaster628 wrote:I don't want to deal with that since I'll be playing this on a either a PS3, 360, or Chromecast so it's gotta be 32-bit.
You might want to check things - in at least the case of Chromecast, it works just fine with a 64-bit m4v file... Playing Rise of the Planet of the Apes at 6.7GB right now on mine.

And, if you're using nightly build versions of Handbrake, support for 64-bit is automatic, as needed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging